shortening a redbird to 16' 6" from 17' 71/2"

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
sierra

shortening a redbird to 16' 6" from 17' 71/2"

Post by sierra »

I'm new here so hopefully this goes smoothly, haha. Has anyone attempted shortening a redbird to 16' 6"?
This is something I'm going to try for my son. I have built 2 prospectors so I have some experience. So my question is do I shorten the distance between station moulds or leave out the centre mould and adjust to the length I want?
Cruiser

Re: shortening a redbird to 16' 6" from 17' 71/2"

Post by Cruiser »

IMO shortening the distance between molds is likely safest option, that isn't that big a change.

That how they adjust the Freedom Solo from either 15'3" or 16'3" .

If you start removing molds it would seem you will be changing the fundamental design, which you don't want to do.

Brian
sierra

Post by sierra »

Thanks for your input. I will be using the strongback that I used for the prospector which is 16 ' so the redbird stems will overhang. I assume this won't be a issue. Also the redbird is keelless but I was considering putting a keel on it to help with tracking.
Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Two points about shortening a design. Use a Fairing Strip, Just a strip laid on the hull, especially the sides or bilge, to see if the strip makes contact on all the stations.Watch for any irregularities !

You will likely need to shorten your stem forms, Fore and Aft. After you have your stations up, again the Fairing strip will help you determine how much the stem forms need to be shortened !

It's always been hard for me to build the same hull twice ! I love trying to Improve. Some times it works, and sometimes not !

I'd say skip the Keel. Go look at any commercial canoe these days ! No Keels. ! They just aren't efficient !

Good luck ! And Post some pics ! We Love Pics !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I've built the Redbird at 17' by just shrinking the distance between the stations a bit.

What is your motivation for shrinking it?

Don't even think about putting a keel on this design.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com