Photos of Rice lake Skiff

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Alan

Photos of Rice lake Skiff

Post by Alan »

Glen suggested that I post photos of my Rice Laker - so, I thought I'd jump right in. After having seen the work of Don Going and Juneau Dave and Chris Fowlie, I'm a little embarrassed to put mine out there. I've had a number of difficulties, and I'm not as patient as I should be - nor am I as capable as some of the wood workers who have posted their projects here. But there's hope for those of us who fall into the "B" category.
I did have an unexpected disaster when I ran out of epoxy 3/4 of the way through the first coat on the inside - the cloth is doubled and soaked up far more than I anticipated. That was quite a setback, but in the end it's not very noticeable.
I'm working on the seats now, trim next week - I hope.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cff

Re: Photos of Rice lake Skiff

Post by cff »

looking good! We need some updates!!
Alan

Re: Rice lake Skiff, Redbird, Prospector & hybrid & filler

Post by Alan »

Better Half in Skiff.jpg
Wow, can it be this long since I posted???? Yow! Anyway, I did finish that RL Skiff (some years ago) and here's a couple of photos - that thing rows magnificently - almost skims along - so rewarding after all the work.
I've also made a Redbird and a Prospector - but I find I cannot do real justice to the craftsmanship that I see in so many other projects. Sigh. Anyway, I'm now working on a "hybrid" canoe - combining the Chestnut from canoe craft with a Kootenay made by a friend....main portion is the Chestnut - bow & stern are Kootenay.
What has brought me back to the forum is that I'm searching for a good filler for my numerous gaps. Have saved sawdust from the past - but when I mix it with epoxy, it tends to swell and becomes coarse. So, I've heard of wood "flour" but cannot find a source for it (cedar) - hoping that this fine material might make a better filler than what I've used in the past. Does anyone know of a place that supplies it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.