Endeavour 17 - Sheer Clamp Questions

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
ChrisRyan

Endeavour 17 - Sheer Clamp Questions

Post by ChrisRyan »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, though I have lurked around for awhile. After doing some searches and not being able to find quite what I was looking for I finally decided to post. As this is my first build, everything is new for me, and i've finally run into a point where i'm quite unsure if i'm following Ted's KayakCraft correctly. Two questions are below with a link to some pictures to help elaborate my situation. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

1) Sheer clamps not flush with molds - On page 83 of KayakCraft it talks about how the sheer clamp should be flush with the molds. With exception of molds 8-10 or so, all of my molds are not flush with sheer clamp, and with the curves of the Endeavour, I'm not sure how it's possible to achieve that. I used a rasp to reduce how proud the sheer clamp was, but I don't think i can take it down any further. in the link are some photos of some of the stations between 4 & 7, looking down from the mold into the sheer clamp. The problem only gets worse as i get closer to the stems.

http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/Chris ... ot%20Flush

2) Sheer clamp curve - After getting the sheer clamp into final position before screwing it in, including making the miter cut and clamping the ends together, i took a step back to take a look the shape of the sheer clamp and as it gets to the last station, heading to the stem, it just doesn't look like a natural curve. I was hoping someone with a bit more experience could take a look and let me know if my instincts are correct or if this looks good. I should mention that the station and stem molds were all pre-cut and purchased from Bear Mountain.

http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/Chris ... 20fairness

Thanks in advance, and please let me know if any additional info would be helpful.

Chris
Stephen

Re: Endeavour 17 - Sheer Clamp Questions

Post by Stephen »

Hi Chris
1) Sheer clamps not flush with molds - On page 83 of KayakCraft it talks about how the sheer clamp should be flush with the molds.
I am not familiar with Kayakcaft, but I'm going to assume that kayak molds work similar to canoe molds. In your photos it looks to me like the side of the mold near the stem is flush with the sheer clamp. If so, I think this is probably the way it should be. It's the same as when planking, the planks only touch one side of the mold as you get near the stems.

In theory a mold is a flat plane in space, thinner than a piece of paper. As a practical matter, we have to make them thick enough to drive screws and staples into. When we set things up, we only care that the boat makes contact with one side of the mold on that plane.

I'm not familiar enough with kayaks and sheer clamps to comment on your second question, but I am very jealous of your workshop.

Stephen
Cruiser

Re: Endeavour 17 - Sheer Clamp Questions

Post by Cruiser »

Hi Chris, welcome to the forums

Like Stephen, I haven't done a kayak yet, just canoes, but the techniques are the same

1) The strips will touch the molds, but do not need to run parallel to the end of the mold. The strip angle (relative to the molds) is in constant transition as you move from bow to stern. Except for the centre few, it is normal to touch just the corner. As long as the strip touches the mold, you are good, the angle of contact doesn't matter, as you sight down the length of the strip, it should form a nice predictable arc, look there to see if the molds are doing what they should.

2) I agree that the strip looks a little "wonky" around mold #3 (not sure what numbering you have), it seems to wander up at that strips and the sheer clamp should be adjusts to make it look straighter. Again sighting down the strip should only show nice arcs, that strip has a definite wobble at that that mold/sheer clamp and then comes back to the long arc. So I suspect that clamp is not aligned correctly.

My opinons

Brian