Hand beveling

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Francis

Hand beveling

Post by Francis »

I've just started to build my second canoe, and this time I want to make them without B&C so just beveling the strips. It's very difficult to find instructions how to do that. I hope here on the forum there are some builders who can help me in this process.
sedges

Re: Hand beveling

Post by sedges »

Of course, my first comment would be WHY??? Its not a simple bevel, but will change over the length of the strip. My first three canoes were hand planed bevels back in the early 1980s before I discovered the bead and cove methods. I could do maybe three strips each side in a day. With B&C and can lay up a canoe in a couple of days with perfectly fitting strips.

That out of the way, here was my method.
1. After placing first strip, clamp the next one above it and tight to it with the side you want facing out against the molds.
2. Using some device, I used an old fashioned drafting divider, transfer the gap between strip faces at each mold to the top of the new strip.
3. Clamp strip on edge on a long bench and plane the bevel down to those marks.
4. test fit and make adjustments if necessary.

Be very careful not to take any of the out-facing edge. This is a very delicate operation. I used a finger plane kept very sharp. Make sure you understand the grain patterns. You may have to plane in different directions on different parts of the strip.
Francis

Post by Francis »

No B&C because this time I work with very thin strips, so the gaps are not that big, but I was wondering if I could avoid these small gaps to beveling the strips.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Hi Francis,

I think you want to check out this site:

https://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guille ... eling_tool

Nick does incredible work and has a wealth of videos to help with kayak builders, including the neat bevel tool ..... you should be able to get some ideas and advice how to build without B&C there.

Brian
Francis

Post by Francis »

Brian, thanks for the link, looks doable with this tool!
sedges

Post by sedges »

How thin? What is the reason for "very thin strips"? The thinner the strips get the more flexible your composite will be given the same fiberglass lay-up. The separation of the inner and outer glass layers by the strips creates the stiffness in the hull. If you go too thin with the wood core the lay-up will require extra glass and epoxy to make if stiff enough to not oil-can. Glass and epoxy weighs more than wood. Sort diminishing returns if you get too thin.

Also, too thin strips are going to get thinner when you scrape and sand.

Anyway, you gaps may be so small as to not matter. Meaning no beveling. Just a thought.
Francis

Post by Francis »

I use 3/16" strips because I build a racing canoe with a specific hull design, and with this thinner strips it's easier to take some 'strange' turns...
sedges

Post by sedges »

OK. 3/16 is not real thin. Lots of folks have used them at that thickness. I have run bead and cove on 3/16 with out any issues. I was using real straight grained cedar at the time. That tool for making the bevel looks real cool. Wish I had that back in the 1980s!
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Francis
The problem of strip alignment, is the biggest reason, I go with B&C ! Those coves hold the beaded strip where it should be !

A Beveled strip must be carefully clamped, to maintain alignment, A glue joint, in a stressed area (the Bilge) will be your biggest challenge !
That's why they invented B&C !

Nick Schade, uses Hot melt to hold his strips to the forms. A risky thing, unless you really know what you are doing !

I agree with Cruiser, that Nick has some Great videos, and knows how to build ! !

Also have to agree with sedges ! Less wood, more glass, to maintain stiffness !

If your 3/16" strip is an 1/16" out of alignment, the joint between the two strips is only 1/8". Now add glue scraping, Fairing the hull, and sanding, what do you have left ?

I'm not saying don't do it ! Just be mindful of the pit falls !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Francis

Post by Francis »

Thanks for these wise words!