Stem template and canoe length

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Bombard

Stem template and canoe length

Post by Bombard »

Hi all. I am new to the forum and a newbie at boat building. I plan to build the prospector this spring. I have all the templates drawn but can’t figure out where the measurements are for the stem template. Are the measurements in the book ? Also is it possible to shorten the length of the Prospector using the templates provided in the book? Also does anybody have an idea of how many strips I will need? Thanks.
Patricks Dad

Re: Stem template and canoe length

Post by Patricks Dad »

Hi, I don't have my copy of Canoecraft with me but I thought stem dimensions were included with all the plans.
As for shortening the canoe, it is indeed possible by simply shortening the distance between each station. You would also likely need to shorten the stem mold to ensure a fair curve from the hull to the bow/stern. I'd recommend that you not do that however. I suggest you find a craft that meets your needs and build it per the plan. You will avoid al the questions related to problems that may (or may not) have been introduced by your changes to the design. What is your motivation for building it shorter?

As for the number of strips, measure the circumference of the largest station and divide by your finished strip width and you'll have a good estimate for the number of strips needed.

Welcome to the forum and we look forward to hearing about your new adventure!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I would echo Randy's advice about not changing plans on the first build ... there are plenty of decisions to be made during the build and changing the length will just add a whole new host of issues ... better you get one under your belt, then on your next build if you are so inclined ( I was) change away.

It does sound like you are lofting your plans from the book, as the purchased plans would have a separate sheet for the stems. If that is the case, I made up a detailed post on the lofting process which can be found here : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4658&p=29021&hilit= ... lan#p29021

If you are lofting, it should answer your questions.

Brian
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Here is some info on stem measures and corrections to Canoecraft. I don't see anything on the Prospector however...

http://bearmountainboats.com/2012BACKUP ... estems.htm
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Link didn't work for me Randy.

Also, when looking for corrections, you need to consider the version of CanoeCraft you are using, so specify that ... corrections are specific to a given publication
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Hmmm that's odd. I just cut and pasted the link...

Try this one: http://web.archive.org/web/201211081136 ... estems.htm

These corrections are against the 2000 version of the book (as stated on the page).

Thanks
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

That worked...tks
Bombard

Post by Bombard »

Thanks for all the good information. I will look in the book again and I will do as advised and keep the same length.
Bombard

Post by Bombard »

Thanks guys. I have the eleventh printing. I think I said I was building a Prospector however I am building a Ranger. The file opened for me and the measurements work. In my book on page 51 the measurements don’t work. Thanks again.