Station waves

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Bombard

Station waves

Post by Bombard »

Hi all. I am building the ranger from the book. I set my templates and after tacking a strip along the center line to hold the templates I noticed that the center line is a little wavy. I know due to cutting out the templates I went off the line a couple of times but not that much. If I strip over this will the shell keep that wave or will it flex out. Should I tweek them to smooth line by eye?
Cruiser

Re: Station waves

Post by Cruiser »

There are times to just push through and times that you need to take a step back and fix the issue. IMO this is one of those times to step back and get it right.

The strongback and forms setup are at the heart of the build and need to be as accurate as you can reasonably get them .... if you are seeing waves, something isn't right.

While your post lets us know "where" the problem is, it doesn't give the whole picture, for instance, does the wave go side to side or up and down?

Also, what directions for setup are you following? CanoeCraft specifically aligns each form to the centerline ... so you may just need better instructions for form setup.

Like so many issues, we could use more details to give you better answers. Better yet, maybe a pic if you can get one that shows your issue.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I'd correct the wave Before going any farther, if you can ! I use a length of heavy Fish line stretched from the stem forms as a reference while setting forms !

If you have started stripping ! It is still possible to adjust the forms. That's a good reason NOT to use screws to mount the forms to the cleats ! My early canoes I used bolts with slightly enlarged holes, to allow for adjustment ! I now have a bunch of C-clamps, and use them instead.

Is it a 1/4" out of level ? In the end it shouldn't really be noticeable. A Builders Prerogative !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Bombard

Post by Bombard »

Thanks guys. The wave is like this. If you sight down from stem to stem down the center line the wave is up and down from stem 2-1-0-1-2 if that makes sense. It’s about 1/8” deflection. I lifted the plans my self so I could have done something wrong there. I have not started stripping yet. I will try to send a picture but when I tried on my previous post it prompted me that the file was to big. Thanks again
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Did you mean you lofted the plans ... if so, where was the source of the tables you used? Did you check for corrections, I know the table from CanoeCraft have corrections you need make before hand.

Did you also run a strip around the sheer to check for fairness, if so, how did that look?

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Correct it if you can, but I don't think an 1/8" is enough to get too concerned about !

I have been known to slip a wedge between a stripped up hull and a form to level, before glassing ! It worked ! Be sure to cover the wedge with tape to prevent it from sticking !

Jim
Bombard

Post by Bombard »

Yes I meant lofted. I used the most current book and did get the correction for the stem mold. I made some minor height adjustments to some of the stems to correct the wave. It through the water line off a little bit but I think I can live with it. I had another question. Is the stapler used for the strips a specialty stapler or is it a standard Arrow type?
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I've used Bostitch, Stanley, and Arrow.
They all worked. Lately I've been using the Heavy duty Arrow ($15). I don't like how it loads staples, but it's more rugged than the Stanleys ($25).

Two tips !
Apply several layers of Strapping tape (Fiberglass reinforced) to the base. This will prevent the stapler from Bruising your strips.

Go on line and find the Stanley/Bostitch staple puller. They are inexpensive and work great without enlarging the staple holes, when you pull them out.

Both of these things will save you extra hours of sanding !

One more tip ! I use two staplers. One for staples Between the forms (1/4" staples). One for stapling the strips to the forms (9/16" staples). To keep from mixing them up, I mark one with a colored masking tape.

Good Luck !

Jim
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I lofted molds 2 boats ago and documented the process here - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4658&p=29021&hilit= ... ble#p29021 .... if you want to check your lofting process, mine worked out to be exactly the same as the plans.

If i had a wave 1/8" up and down, I think I would make an effort to correct that before I started stripping .... that is part of the "in water" design and I would want that to be as smooth as I could get it ... if that puts the sides out a bit, you may have to "adjust" them a bit to get a fair line IMO.

Brian