14' 0" Venture

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
Joan and Ted
Site Admin

14' 0" Venture

Post by Joan and Ted »

Use this forum to post information specific to your 14' 0" Venture project. Use POST REPLY when posting information. Please stay on topic. For general boatbuilding discussions, please use the Builders Forum instead.
tpayne

14' Venture Potential Project

Post by tpayne »

I am currenty building an Endeavor 17 for myself (although I have yet to paddle it.) I am looking ahead to building a second boat for my wife and want some advice from someone who has built a Venture 14.

I am looking to either build a Venture, or a second Endeavor for her.

my wife is 130 lb and an experienced paddler. The Kayak would be used mainly for daytrips, no tripping or long distances, no camping gear or heavy loads.

1) I am concerned the Venture is too small, given the ideal paddling weight of only 160 lb. Any comments?

2) How does the Venture handle?

3) Can it be built to the 45 lb weight as per the Bear Mtn Catalog?

I have been following the forum, and noticed that Glen Smith has built a Venture ( I saw the pics) Any feedback you have would be appreciated.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The Venture is a nice kayak, but with my lightweight (120lbs) it feels unstable in calm water. It loves waves and current. I am not a very experienced paddler but I believe it would suit your wife very well. Keep in mind, however, that being shorter, it is also a slower boat. Will she be able to keep up to you in your Endeavour?
tpayne

Venture 14 project

Post by tpayne »

Glenn

Thank you for your reply. I am concerned about the lack of stability of the Venture. This is alluded to in Steve Killings design notes, his "stability factor". Any other ideas for a small paddler kayak design?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I was not saying the Venture isn't a good choice, just that you have to accept its limits. There are a few boat designs out there for lighter weight paddlers but not many designers provide a "Stability Chart" for comparisons.

The Redfish Silver in the "S" version is a fine looking boat that might suit your needs: http://www.redfishkayak.com/spring_run.htm or you could wait another week or two for Ted to announce the availability of his Stitch & Glue Enterprise kayak and see if it is a viable choice.

I might be able to suggest a few other models if you like, just let me know.
vjgiles

Post by vjgiles »

Good thing I didn't read this a few months ago. I've finished the hull exterior of a Venture, and will put on one more coat of epoxy before flipping it over and starting on the deck. I used the tables in Moores' book to build forms, and planning ahead, wonder about the cockpit and hatches. Kayakcraft doesn't give much info about cockpits for this model. The kayak is for my (small) daughter as a graduation gift, and she's slow to choose a spray skirt she likes. I would covet anyone's suggestions.
On other notes- this is my first kayak. Where do you folks go for minicell foam for bulkheads? Can I use styrofoam (used for insulating concrete)?
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

vjgiles,
I just recently found a source for the foam your looking for. One Ocean Kayaks at 617-926-2717. They also have a web site and are very nice and helpfull.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

A few sources for minicell: http://www.johnrsweet.com/Minicel.html
http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Material.htm#mincelanch
http://noahsmarine.com/United_States/Ce ... at-us.html

You are right, KayakCraft does not give much info on the cockpit and hatches. To find the cockpit location (important to get right) you will have to use the drawing on page 31 and scale it to find the location of the rear cockpit rim. As for the hatches, I prefer to locate the front hatch a few inches forward of the bulkhead. The rear hatch, I position so that I can rest a paddle blade on the rear deck just behind the cockpit rim and not have it touching the hatch lid. This is for paddle-float self-rescue manoeuvers. So, I keep about 8" to 10" of clear deck behind the cockpit.
UniCacher

Post by UniCacher »

I am using the offset tables in Ted Moores's book to lay out the stems and stations for my Venture 14 using AutoCAD. So far it has worked beautifully, but there is a glitch where the bow stem meets stations 1 and 2 at the keel (profile) line. Station 2 bottoms out at 12.25" and the bow stem meets station 2 at 12". Has anybody else encountered this? If you have the printed plans, what are your measurements for station2 at the profile (0") line, station 1 profile, and bow stem where it meets stations 1 and 2? I can send you a PDF of my drawing if that would help clarify.
Denis

Re: 14' 0" Venture

Post by Denis »

here is a pictire of a Venture kayak I helped to build last summer and finished this spring.

Denis
ID Canoeblder

Venture build: Maddie's Yak

Post by ID Canoeblder »

Well, I'm getting started on the Venture for my second daughter. Pics are below, but I have a question. Ted states on page 84 NOT to glue the stems and the shear clamps together at this time. I cannot find anywhere later in the book where these two very important structural parts are epoxied together. Did I miss it? I did a search on the site, did not find a reference either. Why not now? And if not now, when?
Thanks for your thoughts in advance,

Greg

Last edited by ID Canoeblder on Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When people find out what's really important in life, there's going to be a shortage of canoes.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Hi Greg

I had a response completed and just as i was about to send the power went out lol

anyway, those parts do not get glued together until the very end when the deck gets permanently attached the the hull. The sheer is in place in order to be in the correct position to build the deck onto after the exterior of the hull is glassed. When the boat is turned over onto the cradles the deck ends up being glued to the sheer after shaping the sheer to follow the flow of the deck. When the deck is glassed the deck is then removed with the sheer attached to it. After glassing the interior and installing seat, foot braces, cockpit and hatches the deck is then epoxied to the hull. Read the steps in the book several times and I am sure you will see what needs to be done. A word of caution. don't leave the deck interior unglassed for very long as it may start to curl inwards making it hard to reinstall. I would suggest clamping it to the deck cradle.

If you have any further questions please contact me at
denisgagne45@gmail.com

Best of luck

Denis
ID Canoeblder

Post by ID Canoeblder »

Denis, thanks for the info. It makes sense to me now. I have only built stemless canoes, this yak business is uncharted waters for me. I get what you are saying: time to get out the tape! I'm gluing up the shears tomorrow, will be sure they don't glue to the stems until way later.

I really appreciate the help, and I'm glad I waited. It would have been a bad day when I went to lift the deck off and it was glued down at both ends!

Greg
When people find out what's really important in life, there's going to be a shortage of canoes.