Cottage Cruiser and Ranger hull differences

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Oyster Cove

Cottage Cruiser and Ranger hull differences

Post by Oyster Cove »

I am trying to choose between the Cottage Cruiser 15.5’ and the Prospector Ranger 15’.

I will be doing solo paddling mostly in sheltered ocean waters. I note the Cruiser has more of a shallow-arch hull and the Ranger is a flat-bottom hull. I realise this gives the Ranger a bit better stability factor (104). What are the benefits of the shallow-arch hull in the Cruiser and under what conditions would it perform better?

Thanks, Richard
Cruiser

Re: Cottage Cruiser and Ranger hull differences

Post by Cruiser »

Hi Richard,

Basically, a shallow arch allows a wave to pass under the canoe .... as the canoe contacts the hull it moves up and allows the wave to pass under, while the canoe more or less stays in the vertical position.

The flatter the bottom, the more the canoe will tend to follow the shape of the water it is sitting on, so when a wave contacts, it will move to align with the new water shape ... it will slant/slope as require to stay with the water.

On flat water the flat bottom feels more stable and in waves it will rock back and forth on each wave, while the shallow arch will remain up right in waves, but appear to not be quite as stable on flat water.

IMO the shallow arch is the better choice, so the cruiser, it should be easier to paddle and handle weather/waves better .... plus the arch should make the bottom stronger as well.

Brian
Oyster Cove

Re: Cottage Cruiser and Ranger hull differences

Post by Oyster Cove »

Thanks Brian. That makes sense to me and helps a lot. - Richard