trimming strips to stem

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Rockford

trimming strips to stem

Post by Rockford »

Hello everyone. I am new to the site. This is my 1st. canoe build, the Redbird. Installed the first strip on the forms, after trimming the end flush to the stem I realized the need for some advice on how to accomplish this task and have a better result. The first one turned out ok, however, being a novice woodworker and repeating (cutting flush to the stem) and having all the strips look clean is not going to happen with my current skill level unless I get some advice. Can anyone help me with a method to successfully trim the strips to the inner stem and have it look good and fit the outer stem. Any input you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Andy, Rockford,MI
Cruiser

Re: trimming strips to stem

Post by Cruiser »

Hi Andy, welcome to the site.

Not sure what book (or even if you are) you are using, but CanoeCraft has a fair description of how to cut the strips off at the stem.

I can share what I do, but you will need to take the idea and adapt as required for your shop/skill etc.

First, getting the cut flush isn't done in a single operation ... I use a small cutoff saw to cut each strip slightly longer than the stem. Visually i make a line about 1/16" above the stem at each side of the strip and make the cut. You could do a few actually drawing the line to get the feel for it. They don't need to be flush at this point just cut short enough t be out of the way.

This leaves the stem intact with each stem extending past forming a bit of a valley. Once you have the stripping complete, just use a small rasp file to level the ends to the stem, if you touch the stem at this point you have gone too far, finish up with some 60 grit sand paper glued to a flat block of wood, to just get to the inner stem, again, don't sand into the inner stem. Notice I only use hand tools for this, power sanding will a) not stay flat b) likely fail to conform to the right curve.

You don't want to sand into the stem in this operation, simply because the next operation is to fit the outer stem, and any sanding on the inner stem may affect that fit.

Brian
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Welcome to the site. The Redbird is a beautiful craft.

Don't attempt to cut each strip flush with the inner stem as you build the hull. Just cut them so they are out of the way of your continued build. Only once you have the hull fully stripped, then cut them all flush with the inner stem. This will defer your problem/question but not eliminate it of course. But it will simplify it to a single operation (and having all the strips in place will help ensure no tear-out of any given strip).

I use a hand saw to get it the strips in the ballpark (1/4") and then a sharp spokeshave and or a sharp block plane to get closer.

Here's the unorthodox part: I stand on a short ladder so I can look straight down from above at the end of the hull (and in the case of the redbird with all that beautiful recurve the ability to look down at the edge from above at any angle). I use a belt sander and carefully trim any remaining strip material that extends beyond the inner stem. I attach a piece of strip material or a straight edge to the belt sander crossways so I can visually ensure a 90 degree angle between the sander and the hull centerline. This way I can ensure that I neither round over the outer end of the strips while keeping a 90 degree cut. It's easier than it sounds and less scary once you've done it once.

Sneak up on it. Don't get in a hurry (practice on something else first) to get your bearings. This is an important step in ensuring that your outer stem fits nicely leaving no gap between the outer stem and the strips.

Share pictures as you go along.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Rockford

Post by Rockford »

Guys, thanks so much for responding and providing some needed guidance. It was not even on my radar screen to leave the installed strips marginally long and cut to size in one operation. That will be a lot easier with respect to what I had in mind. To answer your question. Yes I'm using the latest edition of Canoecraft as a reference and following instructions to my best ability. Thanks again. Andy.