Fiberglass source

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
mrdangerous

Fiberglass source

Post by mrdangerous »

Ok, I've finally run out of the cheap roll of fiberglass I bought of eBay and need to restock. Where does everyone get their fiberglass from?
Cruiser

Re: Fiberglass source

Post by Cruiser »

You may want to let folks know where you are located, there are quite a few suppliers, be easier to find something close to you.

Brian
Esteves

Post by Esteves »

Do people actually connect with suppliers using this community?
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Short answer would be yes, some things don't ship as well as others, FG can pickup a lot of creases in transit, so I prefer to pick it up from the supplier.

Also for wood, all wood isn't necessarily easily accessible in all areas of North America ... helps to have folks all over, then you get source locations you may not realize are there.

That's why i suggested including the location.
mrdangerous

Post by mrdangerous »

Cruiser wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:11 pm You may want to let folks know where you are located, there are quite a few suppliers, be easier to find something close to you.

Brian
A fair point. I'm down in Savannah, Georgia.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Hoping we have some one from your area chime in, I do know that Noahs Marine has a US webstore for FG and other boat building supplies.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Check out RAKA. I've used them for years.
Everybody charges a lot for shipping . Epoxy and cloth runs about$50 for 3 gal of resin and 12 yds of cloth. I always order one pump and a dozen or so of those Cigar type rollers. Add some fillers in there also.

Might want to check US composites.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!