Redbird Mold.

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
shawnkielty

Re: Redbird Mold.

Post by shawnkielty »

That seems like sound advice.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

The way it looks to me, is your stem forms are too high, or too long.

I'd use a fairing strip and lay on the forms. It should tell you what needs adjusting.

Also check to see if your shearlines look right.

Take some time to get this right.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Absolutely check the plans, the stem should be only slightly (lt 1/4" taller than the station, to allow for shaping to accept the strips.
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

As it turns out, station 7 was also off (short) by 1/8 inch, so the two combine for an error if 1/4 to 3/8 inch. I'll probably need to double check all the stations.
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

RedbirdStemFixedsml.jpg
I think I got this figured out. I think this looks like the pattern now. Rebuilding the stem stations and getting it square and plumb in the strongback revealed that the keel isn't quite straight down the length of the mold. Thanks all for your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

Gluing up the second stem. @ Patrick's Dad. I was able to glue them both up together.
RB_Stem2_sml.jpg
RB_Stem21_smal.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.