Strongback and forms for Prospector 16 in Bay Area, CA

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Bombard

Brush strokes

Post by Bombard »

Hi all. Just finished our first canoe build. My dad who is 84 and I started it back in February. What a great experience. Had a question about varnish. We used Total Boat satin and did four coats with a good quality brush and one coat of reduced wipe on. On all coats the brush and rag strokes were clearly visible when dry. Any suggestions? I would post pics but I am prompted that the file is to big.
Cruiser

Re: Brush strokes

Post by Cruiser »

One method i have had a lot of luck with (I also don't seem to get along with brushes on that much surface area) is to roll and tip.

I use a small foam roller to get about 2 square feet covered with an even medium coat and immediately draw a "Jen" foam brush lightly over the surface (tipping) to break any bubbles and do a final leveling. Keep doing sections about that size side to side overlapping wet edges and moving from one end to the other.

The key here is to do smaller areas and get the varnish on and tipped fairly quickly as a good quality varnish gets thick quickly. One other step I take is to thin the final coat about 15% to give a little bit more working time and it also seems to give a smoother final finish.

Brian
carlbass

Strongback and forms for Prospector 16 in Bay Area, CA

Post by carlbass »

I just built a Prospector 16 and am willing to hand off the strongback and forms to anyone who wants them. You owe something to Bear Mountain for using the design but the forms and strongback are in good shape and were used to build the boat shown in the photos. The stuff is in my shop in Berkeley
IMG_20190825_080856 small.jpg
DSC_7112 small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cruiser

Re: Strongback and forms for Prospector 16 in Bay Area, CA

Post by Cruiser »

I don't need another strong back, but that is a nice boat you built. I haven't seen a set of seat hangers like that, would you mind telling me what they are or how you made them?

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Like Cruiser, I don't need the strongback, or forms, but judging by your canoe, I'm sure they are fine !
Incredible hanger brackets, as well as canoe !
Nice !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
carlbass

Post by carlbass »

Thanks!

The hangers were overkill :) They are made of aluminum, machined on a cnc and anodized in a bronze color. The design was done using a computer to optimize strength, weight, etc

I still hope I can find someone who needs the strongback and forms - seems a pity to junk them
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

I don't need the strongback ... the forms maybe. I am in San Mateo.