Strip size

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Jim Dodd

Re: Strip size

Post by Jim Dodd »

I was up to Spooner, several years ago for the Spring opening. I just ran across pics the other day ! It was one great time !

Did you have a canoe on display up there ?

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I've been to the Spooner canoe museum several times. It really is well done. And I agree that shop there is awesome! I displayed a couple of my canoes there at the late May event in 2018 (I think). Really enjoyed visiting with people there.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I know I'm getting off topic !

I might be up for going this year, if they have it ?

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

From their website:

The Wisconsin Canoe Heritage Museum (WCHM) has announced that due to the ongoing pandemic it is cancelling its 2020 Canoe & Wooden Boat Show originally scheduled for May 23, and all the associated activities at the museum held in conjunction with Wisconsin Canoe Heritage Day. In addition, the WCHM Canoe Shop has been closed to public use, and all scheduled classes and gatherings have also been cancelled through April and May.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
cedarphile

Spooner canoe Memorial Day Annual Festivals

Post by cedarphile »

I've attended each year, but the first one ten years ago was my most memorable.

My son-in-law, a mason had just finished up a northern white cedar Prospector in my shop and wanted to exhibit it at the show. Unfortunately, he got an overtime work assignment for the Saturday of the show, so I said I'd drive up the 25 miles to the Museum and set it up in a cradle.

For a mason, he really had done a fantastic job. I've seen hundreds of cedarstrips and this would rank among the top 5%.

Anyway, an elderly gentleman obviously, well-heeled and slumming–dressed in a faded LL Bean jacket and Russel boots, kept coming over to the canoe, lovingly rubbing the curved cherry and ash stem, and running his hands along the ash gunwhales with a teak oil sheen. When he asked me if I would sell the canoe for $3000, I damn near fell over. Of course, I refused the offer.

He still kept coming back during the show and stroking that canoe. Just as the show was ending, he came back for the last time...and upped the offer to $5000! Then of course I told him why I couldn't sell the canoe.

Now had that been my canoe.....
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

good story, would certainly make me think twice as well

Brian