Couple more milestones passed

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
compass

Couple more milestones passed

Post by compass »

My Ranger build continues. After my last post I assembled and utilized some of the "Jimmy clamps" and I have to say that they work pretty well. They allow me to quickly clamp and keep moving- then I go back and tape and wedge where needed. I decided to take a break from planking up towards the keel and to plank down to the sheer line and clean up the end of the planks at the inner stems.
https://buildersforum.bearmountainboats ... iew&id=412
https://buildersforum.bearmountainboats ... iew&id=411
https://buildersforum.bearmountainboats ... iew&id=410
I was kind of dreading the trimming of the plank ends and I still have to do some final adjustments but it wasn't as daunting a task as I had imagined.
Someone on this forum said that they used a belt sander as they stood over the stems looking down to square up the sander. This is what I did but with an orbital sander.
Using a sharp chisel to trim the planks "up" to the sheer line wasn't as difficult as I expected either except for the forms getting in the way. I've only done one and left it about 1/2" proud but I think that this is good enough until after fiber-glassing?
The one picture of the stem shows a jig that I saw someone post a picture of. It helps to keep the planks against the molds with wedges and I think will
work well with the low angle planks that will be coming up soon. Thanks for reading!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Dodd

Re: Couple more milestones passed

Post by Jim Dodd »

Looks Great Compass !

Keeping the planks ON the forms has always been the challenge, going the Stapleless route.
Looks like you have it handled.

Stripping the Bilge is a challenge, but once you have the Stem forms covered, the football is the fun part.

Your on the right track ! Stay with it !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Nice job, the stems cleaned up nicely. You have more courage than I do, power tools on an edge like that always get me in trouble.

Please keep the build updates coming

Brian
compass

Post by compass »

Jim Dodd wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:53 am Looks Great Compass !

Keeping the planks ON the forms has always been the challenge, going the Stapleless route.
Looks like you have it handled.

Stripping the Bilge is a challenge, but once you have the Stem forms covered, the football is the fun part.

Your on the right track ! Stay with it !

Jim
Thank you Jim! But don't feel confident that I have things handled. ;) However, your comments are reassuring and appreciated! Yes, I can already tell that the turns at the bilge will be challenging.
compass

Post by compass »

Cruiser wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:35 am Nice job, the stems cleaned up nicely. You have more courage than I do, power tools on an edge like that always get me in trouble.

Please keep the build updates coming

Brian
Thank you Brian. I was hesitant to use the power sander on the plank ends but even more reluctant to get any closer by hand. I think the key is looking down from the top of the stem. Looking from the sides I couldn't seem to see a square edge.
The stems aren't perfect but I am thrilled to have them somewhat close to the correct profile and the clean lines really are encouraging.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I use the beltsander to "cut" the strips flush with the inner stem. As you say, looking down from above makes it much easier. I usually put a strip of metal about 2'long under the belt so I can be sure it is square as I trim. Took some guts the first time but once I got the hang of it, it was easy.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
compass

Post by compass »

Patricks Dad wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:22 pm I use the beltsander to "cut" the strips flush with the inner stem. As you say, looking down from above makes it much easier. I usually put a strip of metal about 2'long under the belt so I can be sure it is square as I trim. Took some guts the first time but once I got the hang of it, it was easy.
Yes, I thought it was you Randy who gave me the idea- thank you! Now that I've tried it I can't imagine there's a better way to do it!