Epifanes varnish drying time

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
JoeP

Epifanes varnish drying time

Post by JoeP »

Applied first coat to inside of hull 48 hours ago. It was cut 50/50 with mineral spirits. Although instructions indicate a 24 hour re-coat time, it is still slightly tacky. When do I re-coat ?

Thanks
Cruiser

Re: Epifanes varnish drying time

Post by Cruiser »

Varnish not drying is not a good sign, what type are you using? And to be on the safe side, have you tried putting the varnish on a pieve of wood, just to rule out the varnish?

The thing you have to watch is amine blush from the epoxy or green epoxy, either will cause the varnish to fail to set up. So, the questions, was the epoxy fully cured ... anytime I wait less than 7-10 days with my epoxy system, I stand a good chance of the varnish failing.

The amine blush can occur if the cure conditions for the epoxy are at one end or the other of the recommended temps .... a waxy substance forms and will interfere with varnish setup ... sanding may not get it all because converting to dust doesn't necessarily remove it well, a wash with soap and water is recommended before sanding.

So there are a couple of things that may be causing your issue, unfortunately they both mean you have some messy cleanup to start again.

Brian
JoeP

Post by JoeP »

I am using Epifanes Clear Varnish. It soaked in nicely on decks, gunwales, seats, but not over the hull . Epoxy applied 2 weeks ago.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I use Epiphanes as well, maybe give a couple more days to see if drys ... is the area warm? It doesn't like cool temps for drying. Two weeks is plenty of time for the epoxy to fully cure.

If it doesn't dry, you will likely need to sand it off carefully, clean the epoxy and try again .... look up your epoxy manufacturers recommendation for getting rid of blush.

A couple more days may solve the issue, don't rush the removal .... but if it isn't setting, the next step is to get rid of varnish on the hull and wash the hull assuming blush is present IMO

Brian
JoeP

Post by JoeP »

Thank you. No blush what so ever. Moved it out in the sun today.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Just an FYI, you can't always see the blush .... something is interfering with the varnish. You said it was fine on the wood stuff, but doesn't seem to be drying on the epoxy .... just saying

Maybe you will get lucky and the heat and air will get it dry enough to cure.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Blush is not a visible thing.
I agree with Brian, it's probably Blush interfering with the varnish drying. Even if you think it has dried ! It will peel in time.
You have the option of fixing it now, or later !

One of my early canoes did this !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
JoeP

Post by JoeP »

The varnished dried after 3 days, the last 2 out in the sun. The second cost dried overnight almost everywhere. I can say that with both coats , the last place to dry was the areas near, and under the decks.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Then it looks like you lucked out that either conditions or a light blush is all you had, a little patience is always a good thing.

You are getting so close, I am about to start varnishing and it is an exciting time.

A few pics would be nice, to share your work with us.

Brian
JoeP

Post by JoeP »

Drying time shortens with each coat. I suspect the increasing ratio of varnish/mineral spirits is the reason. Once the tackiness subsides I get it in the sun whichbseems to help.
7EE11CAC-5F95-426B-8885-BE02FD978806.jpeg
66F0D0D3-C6CF-42E3-8C45-879FD0383534.jpeg
310B0B71-F682-4FE1-88AF-A34A249DB7DE.jpeg
I
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I wouldn't make a habit of drying the varnish in the sun, it can dry too quickly on the skin and you can end up with a cracked alligator skin appearance under some conditions.

If the first coat was slowed by uncured epoxy but did finally setup, your problem is over. Any subsequent coats will be fine ... so you don't need to take additional steps.

And the boat is looking great.

Brian