Closing the bottom, last three strips

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Rockford

Closing the bottom, last three strips

Post by Rockford »

Hello builders. I need some more advice. My 1st. request for info. was on the 1st strip; cutting the ends flush with the stem. I am now three strips to closing in the bottom. The plan I'm using is the Redbird. This is my first build.
I am confused on a method close in the bottom. I did find a very useful discussion on the topic months ago, but am unable to relocate it. I have read Teds' instructions in his book and viewed his youtube videos. I understand the last two strips are glued together off the boat and installed as one piece to complete the bottom. When the last two pieces are glued together, do I need to glue them bent in the same shape the hull is where the will be installed? I'm thinking if I just glue them in an "at rest" position the result will be to stiff to flex into the need arc to fit the hull. Is this accurate, or am I all wet on this? Also, is there a tried and true method in shaping for a nice fit after the gluing the two pieces together? I am not sure how to shape and fit the glued two piece assembly without removing too much material somewhere and creating an unsightly gap.

Question #2: Can someone point me in the right direction on how to post pictures on the forum. I am not tech savvy at all. I'm guessing the are instructions somewhere, just haven't stumbled on where they are located. Thanks everyone!
Cruiser

Re: Closing the bottom, last three strips

Post by Cruiser »

I give a detailed description of how I do this here, down the page quite a bit: https://www.canoetripping.net/forums/fo ... uild/page5

This not the only way, just a way ... might give you a better idea of what you want to end up with and how to get there.

Brian
Rockford

Re: Closing the bottom, last three strips

Post by Rockford »

Thank you for the link showing how to close the bottom. The pics. are a big help. The instructions in Teds' book is much clearer now. A picture is worth a thousand words...
Andy.