Polyester Resin

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Wizine

Polyester Resin

Post by Wizine »

I'm looking for a way to complete the small cabin on a boat I am building and save my skin from the effects of epoxy resin. A little less than two years ago I began building one of Jeff Spira's designs, the Anacapa. It has taken me a bit longer due to building outside in Alaska and other outdoor activities drawing me away from the boat, but I am getting there. I lengthened it to 22' and have completed a maiden voyage without the cabin using the kicker versus the main power I will put on it. I know I need to post some pics and will do so as soon as I uncover the boat in the spring. I had a fairly major reaction to the epoxy despite protecting myself against it (apparently not good enough). If at all possible, I need to come up with an alternative to epoxy resin as a sealer and adhesive. The only part left to complete is a small cabin (gunwale to gunwale, 60" long,40z glass on the outside only). I had an idea tonight that I would explore using polyester resin to build the cabin. My back-up plans are enlisting friends who showed no reaction to epoxy resin and/or wrapping myself up and getting a better respirator. However, if I can use polyester resin as an adhesive/sealer on the cabin with less adverse effects on my skin, I will try that. Perhaps even a combo of PL Premium or 5200 for construction with polyester resin as a sealer?

Since I am on the subject, does anyone have data on the varying degrees of skin reaction using different brands of epoxy resin (West System vs System 3 vs AeroMarine)? If there is a brand that is not as prone to reactions, I could try that plus better protection (actually use barrier cream instead of reading about it, for example).

I would appreciate any advice from those of you with experience using both epoxy and polyester resin.
sedges

Re: Polyester Resin

Post by sedges »

I would suggest vinyl ester rather than polyester. A much better resin property-wise.

If you have a sensitivity to epoxy, you might very well have sensitivity to some of the chemicals in poly or vinyl esters. The list is long and they are nasty. Its one reason epoxies have become so popular for small shops. Just the styrene alone is awful, but then there are all the things that are odorless, but more toxic.

If you recovered quickly from the dermatological reactions it might be best to enlist those friends to help and do the best you can to reduce your exposure. Dealing with a known issue is sometimes better than experimenting with new ones.