gunwales epoxy or varnish

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Oyster Cove

gunwales epoxy or varnish

Post by Oyster Cove »

My gunwales (Celery Top Pine) are now installed and sanded with #120. Should I now apply 3 coats of clear epoxy or just use thinned varnish? Or both?
Cruiser

Re: gunwales epoxy or varnish

Post by Cruiser »

The answer is either.

Epoxy on the gunnels is an extra step ... so for those that are doing only what is required, which is to seal the wood, then oil or varnish is the minimum.

I have found that 2 coats of epoxy does 2 desirable things, 1) it hardens the surface giving you some additional dent/scratch protection and 2) seals the wood and provides a good base to apply varnish on.

In your case, I would use 2 coats of epoxy, the first one to seal the wood, the second to get the surface smooth. Leave the first one for a day and sand with 220 to get it smooth, cleanup and do a second coat and leave that to fully cure. Wipe it down with a light detergent/soap solution (in case of amine blush), then clear water and dry. Sand lightly with 220.
You are ready to varnish now, I use Epiphanes, but there are lots of good ones, just substitute yours here. I use 3 coats ... coat 1 25% thinned, sanded 220, coat 2 15% and 320, coat 3 15% and 320.
This is all hand sanded and applied with a "Jen" brand foam brush. Don't dally with the application, keep it moving for the best finish.

Brian
Oyster Cove

Post by Oyster Cove »

Thanks Brian.

That is a big help. I am learning lots. I just need some warmer weather now.

Richard
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Here is a trick for preventing varnish, or epoxy running down the sides of your hull , when coating the gunnels.
This easy to make stand is effective.
I hope a pic says more than my slow typing can !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

When I do the gunnels, I usually swing the boat "right side up", looks like it would be a bit inconvenient trying to work on the inside part of the gunnel with those Jim.

A bit of tape and a few garbage bags and the hull is well protected and doing the gunnels is a much better (from a visual/convenience PoV) working situation IMO.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Cruiser wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:20 am When I do the gunnels, I usually swing the boat "right side up", looks like it would be a bit inconvenient trying to work on the inside part of the gunnel with those Jim.

A bit of tape and a few garbage bags and the hull is well protected and doing the gunnels is a much better (from a visual/convenience PoV) working situation IMO.

Brian
It actually works quite well. Old clothes are advised though ! No need for garbage bags, just a bit of masking tape !

I can get a fully saturated coat on the undersides of the decks, as well as the gunnels.

I don't epoxy, or varnish the outside of the gunnels. I use WATCO. Watco is an oil finish, and doesn't show scratch marks like varnish.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!