3/4 stock for stations

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Lyle

3/4 stock for stations

Post by Lyle »

Can't get any 1/2" partial board for stations will 3/4" work or is it bad thing to do?
I have had planes for a 17ft. Liberity for 10 years or so at 78 years here goes my first canoe.
I live in Wisconsin about 1/2 mile from the St Croix river, in 1962 I went up river from St. Croix falls to St. Croix flowage, Gordon then back to St Croix falls solo. Time to try a much easer trip, maybe 3, 4 days in the boundary waters.

Lyle
Cruiser

Re: 3/4 stock for stations

Post by Cruiser »

It isn't the end of the world to use 3/4", but 1/2" stock is just a lot easier to use and cut. The real issue with wider stock though, is that the boat curves and the strips only fall on the corner of the form. The wider the form, the farther away from actual shape the strip is pushed, in this case, it hits a corner that is 3/4" past where the actual form shape is.

The end result is actual shape gets distorted a bit and only gets worse as the form gets wider.

Brian
Lyle

Post by Lyle »

So if I put 1/4" shampher on the narrow side of form it should work the same as 1/2" stock. Or could make a sanding board
With flex in it what reaches over 3 to 4 stations and sanding only what should be lower, that would be very little stock coming
Off.

Lyle
sedges

Post by sedges »

The edge of the form that the strip contacts should be on the station line. The except for the center form, the forms should NOT be centered on the station line. Beveling form edges is totally unnecessary no matter what thickness stock you use.

I have always used 3/4 AC plywood.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Like I said, 3/4" isn't the end of the world and you certainly don't need to modify the forms if that is all you can get.

Sedges does bring up another point and that is form placement and if you aren't following a book, I suggest you get one so that you have the guidance of how and why to place them. I follow CanoeCraft for this and it is well explained.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I've always used 3/4" ply. Gives more surface to hold staples. Seems to warp less in time.

A 1/4" additional thickness doesn't need repositioning of the forms.

I slightly radius to leading edge.of the forms and double tape, so the forms don't dent the inside of the strips. This will save some extra sanding on the inside ( the worst!).

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Lyle

Post by Lyle »

I like radius on stations, will use 1/8 radius bit in trim router, it will keep in side planks nice and flat on edge close to 1/2"
I will put tape on edges to stop glue, but first will paint them with General Finishes oil based arm-r-seal, put it on work. Bench
Glue does not stick even when dry it comes off. Will use too, would be bad,bad to have canoe stuck for ever.
Thank you for the help!
Lyle