Question about closing the football

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
compass

Question about closing the football

Post by compass »

Sorry if this has been discussed already but I searched and couldn't find an answer. I'm planking up to to my Ranger's centerline trying to keep the plank ends lined up with those on the other side. With about 6 planks left to go things look fairly matched although I've had to do a lot of bead trimming and reshaping.
I know that soon I will need to shave the cove off one of the planks (3rd to last typically?) which will make this strip narrower.
So, if I want to keep the last 2 strips (which will already be bent and glued together) symmetrical with the completed side won't I end up with a gap between the 2nd and 3rd planks (after shaving off the bead from the 2nd plank)?
If I butt join the 2nd and 3rd planks I can trim to the centerline and have no gap but then the center football will be offset and be quite noticeable because it is basswood.
I feel like I must be missing something here?
https://buildersforum.bearmountainboats ... iew&id=460
Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cruiser

Re: Question about closing the football

Post by Cruiser »

About half way down this post page, I show what i do https://www.canoetripping.net/forums/fo ... uild/page5

This isn't the only way, just a way that works for me, at the least it may give you some ideas.

Brian
compass

Post by compass »

Thanks Brian, I had looked at your build report before but looked at it more closely and, yes, it did clarify some things for me. I, especially, liked your method of bending the last couple of strips. Great job on documenting your build which I'm sure will be a much used resource for me. George.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Enjoy your build and thank you

Brian