staining ash

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Oregon Paddler

staining ash

Post by Oregon Paddler »

Would staining ash trim have any impact on epoxy adhesion?
Diego,
When I keep my gratitude a little higher than my expectations, it's usually a good day.
Jim Dodd

Re: staining ash

Post by Jim Dodd »

If you used an Oil based stain, I'd be leary.

It might work, if you were just coating the Ash, but adding cloth, I'd pass.

An Alcohol, or water base stain might be a better choice.

Having made that statement, I've never stained Ash trim.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Maybe expand a bit on your intentions, are we talking about using the epoxy to attach the gunnels or adding a coat of epoxy for protection?

I don't do a lot of staining, preferring to swap to a different wood for accents .... but Jim's suggestion of alcohol based dyes is where I would venture in most cases with epoxy.

Brian
Oregon Paddler

Post by Oregon Paddler »

I would be screwing the gunnels, epoxy is just for water proofing and protection.
Diego,
When I keep my gratitude a little higher than my expectations, it's usually a good day.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Bear Mountain has this in the FAQ on their website
Can I stain my canoe before fibreglassing, or will this interfere with epoxy adhesion?

Yes, you can use stain as long as it is not oil-based. For more info on aniline dyes, see Kayaks You Can Build, which includes details on three kayaks Ted built using a cherry red, a green and a black stain over plywood. They looked amazing, though it is important to experiment first as the colour of the wood combines with the colour of the dye to produce a new tone.

Also note that West System technical staff did testing and found some oil-based stains will work. See this article for more.
https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php/ep ... er-stains/

This article also mentions stain
https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php/va ... ver-epoxy/
sedges

Post by sedges »

Make sure you coat the side that is going against the hull before you install them. Gunnels will rot from the inside out if water enters the side against the hull. You don't even notice it until they break. I also dip the screws in watco oil or varnish when I screw them in. Any holes drilled for hanging seat or mounting thwarts should be coated as well.

This especially important if you use epoxy to seal. Any water that enters an untreated surface can't escape the well sealed surface.

Coating with epoxy does make a tough surface for a part of the canoe that takes a beating. I used to screw gunnels on and treat them with Watco teak oil. Worked pretty good. Now I glue them on with epoxy and coat with epoxy and varnish.