Redbird Stem Problem

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
PHalsey

Redbird Stem Problem

Post by PHalsey »

I was just about ready to install the outer stems and realized there’s a problem. Per Canoecraft, the leading edge of the inner stems is supposed to have been beveled down to about 1/8” wide. When combined with a 1/4” thick strip on both sides this yields a mating surface of 5/8” to which the outer stem is then attached. BUT I SCREWED UP. On my boat, the exposed inner stem ended up about 11/16,” which makes the mating surface more like 1 1/8.”

So here’s the question: Can I just use the stems I’ve already built, or do I need to steam up a new set that are wider? My concern is that using the stems I have will require tapering the bow/stern strips down to meet the 7/8” wide outer stems. This will reduce the thickness of the strips at the stems to about half the designed thickness. On the face of it this seems like a questionable move, but the strips are glued to the inner stem, so I’m thinking stem strength won’t really be compromised much. I’m also concerned that whether I use the original outers, or make new ones, the bow/stern entry may be a little blunter than designed. Pretty sure the difference will be imperceptible, buy what do you all think?
sedges

Re: Redbird Stem Problem

Post by sedges »

If your measurements are accurate I think there is no problem. You'll only be taking of 1/8 inch on each side. I would go ahead and glue the outer stem centered on the hull and fair the strips in after.