Inwale/outwale scarf joint location

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
snojwa

Inwale/outwale scarf joint location

Post by snojwa »

I am ready to install the gunwales on my Redbird. I had to scarf them to get the needed length, but now I'm wondering where the scarf joints should be located along the length of the canoe. Originally I was going to place them in the center but that will also be the thwart location. Should the scarf joints be staggered (one toward the bow and one toward the stern) and should the inwale and outwale joints be staggered also? This is my first canoe build and I just don't want to make a structural mistake! Thanks in advance for your advice!
Jim Dodd

Re: Inwale/outwale scarf joint location

Post by Jim Dodd »

A good scarf is as good as the wood itself. So where they are is optional.

I stagger the inwhale and outwhale scarf joins more for looks.

On a few, because of the amount of wood, I placed the inwhale scarf between the seat rails. If the wood matches, and you do a good job, it's not that visible.

I use a 10-1 ratio on mine. I'm told an 8-1 is plenty.

I cut a set of Ash outwhales, for a friend, too short. I cut scarfs on the ends and added Walnut. When he was done ? It looked cool ! Just like we planned it.
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!