Strongback Construction - Screw or Screw & Glue?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Niko03

Strongback Construction - Screw or Screw & Glue?

Post by Niko03 »

Hi All,

Finally starting my canoe!
Have the shop arranged and the wood up on racks.
I cut the strongback pieces this past weekend and was going to assemble it last night.
(following the canoecraft guide)

But reading through the build guide, it doesn't mention gluing as you screw it together.
I figure they would call it out if recommended.
Normally I glue & screw almost everything unless i know it's coming apart.
I can see not gluing the legs and center box beam so it can be broken down.
But thought the 3 main box beams should be glued for extra stability and strength.

So do people glue it and screw it for strength?
Or is it not glued so you can adjust it?

Thanks - August
Cruiser

Re: Strongback Construction - Screw or Screw & Glue?

Post by Cruiser »

Just follow the book and don't glue it, is my suggestion.

I built mine in 2013 and it hasn't budged anywhere .... obviously glue isn't going to actually matter in the construction, however, if you ever need to break it back down ...gluing will prevent that.

When building your first canoe, we all seem to want to add our own personal twists and turns to the process ... the best advice I can give is to stick with the plan for the first build, then start being creative on your next one (it is addictive).

Brian
Niko03

Post by Niko03 »

Thanks Brian! - That gives me some additional confidence. Canoecraft is well written and I felt they would've called it out for sure, just had to have a "second" to overcome my gluing instinct.
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

Mine is on about it's third life and a year ago when I moved ... I took it apart and put it back together. Screws, and no glue is my advice.