Willian English Model 20 offsets

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
sedges

Willian English Model 20 offsets

Post by sedges »

i am finishing up a hull I started a long time ago, so long that would be embarrassed to tell. The first Canoecraft book had the offsets for the William English Model 20. I no longer have the book or the molds and I need the offset for the center mold at the sheer/gunnel. I'm sure I can judge it pretty well, but would like to have it anyway. I have it braced open to glue the gunnels and it looks good, but I'd like to know.

Anyone out there still have that old book?
Stephen

Re: Willian English Model 20 offsets

Post by Stephen »

From the 1983 edition of Canoecraft:

English 20 Chart A Station 0 sheer: 12 5/8

Chart B: no sheer value given

Chart A corresponds to the Table of Heights in the 2000 edition, while Chart B corresponds to the Table of Half-breadths.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information from the book.

Stephen
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I have it braced open to glue the gunnels and it looks good
After re-reading your post, I realized you need the Chart B value, which isn't given, so I decided to do a rough plot of Station 0 in Sketchup. All the points made a nice fair curve, except for the 12" waterline in Chart B. Unfortunately this is VERY close to the sheer point we're trying to find. When I added exactly 12" to the value given it made a fair curve, so I think that's an error in the book. Anyway it looked right so I went with that.

From there it was only 5/8" up to the sheer point. As a first approximation I extended a line from the 10" waterline plot to the 12" waterline plot until it intersected the sheer height at 12 5/8". This occurred at a Chart B or Half-Breadth value of 14 5/8". I would say this represents the upper limit. Because there was a tumblehome starting at the 8" waterline I thought the value would be slightly less than 14 5/8" so I reduced the value to 14 9/16" and then to 14 1/2" and drew two more lines to approximate the curvature. Just using an eyeball test 14 9/16" looks like the Goldilocks option.

So for Station 0 I would say Chart A sheer point is 12 5/8" (given in book) and Chart B sheer point is 14 9/16" (estimated here).

Stephen
sedges

Post by sedges »

Thank you Stephen!

It has more tumblehome than I remember. Maybe I'll get this one in the water soon. Thank you for your quick response and going the extra mile to answer my query.

Sedges
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Sedges

This canoe looks like it has in the neighbourhood of 3/4" of tumblehome in from the widest point. I'm almost positive you'll remember, but I thought I'd mention that the value I gave you is for the center mold and thus represents half the width of the inside of the hull. If you pull the outside in to that distance it would probably be overdoing it.

I haven't seen the English 20 built very often on this site. It will be nice to learn how it turns out.

Stephen