Attaching decks & outwales - opinions?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
themrbruceguy

Attaching decks & outwales - opinions?

Post by themrbruceguy »

It's now finally time for me to install my decks and outwales on my 15' Ranger canoe. Progress picture just for fun!

Attaching outwales
I've seen many different strategies used in attaching the outwales to the canoe: epoxy only, screws only, countersunk screws only, epoxy with screws, epoxy with countersunk screw w/ plugs, etc etc.

I definitely don't want visible screws on my canoe and I also think using epoxy sounds like a good idea, which means I'll either do 1) epoxy only, or 2) epoxy with countersunk screws w/ plugs.

For those of you who attach your outwales with epoxy only, how durable is the end result? The only thing that worries me is future issues of potential separation / breaking at the epoxy bond joint. Should I not be worried about that and march forward?

Attaching decks
If using screws, some folks seem to attach the decks at the same time as attaching the ends of the outwales (Option #1). Other times they prefer to attach the decks first using screws through the hull, and then new screws (or no screws at all, but rather, epoxy only) that secure the outwales to the hull/deck later (Option #2).

I'm pretty convinced that I want to use screws and thickened epoxy to attach the decks, but I'm not sure if I should use option #1 or #2 above. Option #1 will leave visible signs of screws, Option #2 won't leave visible signs if using epoxy only for the outwales. Any recommendations or thoughts?

Thank you all!
~ Jake
Jim Dodd

Re: Attaching decks & outwales - opinions?

Post by Jim Dodd »

ImageI fall into the glue and screw my Inwhales, and glue my Outwhales faction.
I prefit my inwhales and mount with screws. Remove screws, and add epoxy, to the inwhales, then screw the inwhales back in place. No worries about anything slipping out of alignment. Once the screws are in place ? I just leisurely add clamps. The screws eliminate the need for a lot of extra clamps too !

I also cap my hull with the Outwhale. When I'm done, the guunels are part of the canoe, not just screwed on !

Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

There is a neat tool called "Dragon's Teeth" Used to keep the clamps from sliding off the ends.
Here is a pic, that should illustrate their use.
The red is the Dragon's Teeth. The Teeth are covered with tape to keep from being glued permanently to the hull ! Very important !

themrbruceguy

Post by themrbruceguy »

Thanks for the reply, Jim! I will follow suit and use only epoxy for bonding the outwales to the canoe.

How do you attach your decks then? Do you use epoxy + screws prior to installing the outwales?

Thanks,
~ Jake
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Yes ! Sorry I omitted the decks they too are glued and screwed.

I actually fit the decks first, then fit the inwhales.

Jim
themrbruceguy

Post by themrbruceguy »

No worries, Jim! Thanks for the reply!

~ Jake
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

There are several options for decks, on my last few builds I have opted for top mount, with just epoxy attachment.

If you scoot down to the second set of pics in this build post, you can see the design and attachment method, maybe give you some other options or ideas.

https://www.canoetripping.net/threads/l ... 054/page-8

Brian