Painter rings

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
David Towlun

Painter rings

Post by David Towlun »

Anybody have any experience installing brass painter rings, specifically through the stems? I'm talking about the Old Town style rings, where they're mounted using a u-bolt style piece of hardware that bolts through the stem and has a brass plate. If you installed them in the stems, did you also have a brass stem band? How did you pair the ring plate and the stem band? Anyone have a painter ring that tore out? I don't want to attach the ring to the decks and I also don't want to drill a hole through the hull. Thanks!

You can see the type of hardware I'm talking about here:

http://www.adirondack-guideboat.com/201 ... ter-rings/
Patricks Dad

Re: Painter rings

Post by Patricks Dad »

I have used this hardware to put painter rings on one canoe I built. It also has brass stem bands. I just let the small brass plate rest on the face of the stem band.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Patricks Dad

Re: Painter rings

Post by Patricks Dad »

Also,
you should endeavor to get your painter rings as low as possible (close to the waterline). It will make lining the canoe much more stable if they are lower.

I do prefer to drill a hole through the side of the hull (perpendicular to the centerline of the canoe). I insert /epoxy a small brass pipe in the hole, cut it flush with the surface of the hull and round-over the inside of the pipe.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com