Steaming gunwales

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
bogweasel

Steaming gunwales

Post by bogweasel »

I'm about to install the inwales on my Ranger 15 and I'm planning on steaming the ends to avoid the possibility of snapping them during bending into position. I'm thinking of clamping the inwales directly onto the hull after steaming rather than creating a form. This means that the bend will be in three dimensions rather than two. My concern is that the heat may affect the epoxy at the top of the hull when I clamp the inwale to it. Any thoughts? Good idea or a definite no no?
Cruiser

Re: Steaming gunwales

Post by Cruiser »

I doubt you would do much damage , but you could just take a left over strip and place it between the gunnel and sheer to act as an insulator until it cools.

Brian
compass

Post by compass »

I'd be afraid to damage the canoe myself but that's just me. The heat would be a concern but so too would be the quick clamping and other activity around the delicate stems. I already dropped a few things in the canoe that left blemishes. I also think that I would a have more difficulty in getting a good fit where the inwales meet the inner stem if I bent the inwales on the canoe itself. Maybe it would work better for the outwales where the precise length can be trimmed afterwards?
sedges

Post by sedges »

I have built a few prosdpectors over the years and never had to steam gunwales. The sheer line is basically the same as the Ranger. The curve is rather gradual. Starting in the middle and clamping as you go out get it done. Canoes like the Redbird, with the high ends need steaming. Maybe if you had gunnel stock with weird grain steaming might be necessary, but good straight grained stock should take the curve.

Lets hear from other Ranger builders. Did you steam gunnels?
compass

Post by compass »

Good point about the sheer line curve by the stems and there is some flexibility with how much curve one uses. I like the look of a higher stem and, of course, that made bending my gunwales a little more challenging. I also chose not to use any screws in my gunwales so steaming (just the last few feet) was necessary, I felt. I know that some builders deloft the height of their stems to avoid steaming as well. I agree that type of wood and direction of grain are also key factors.