Track saw centerline

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Blind Rabbit

Track saw centerline

Post by Blind Rabbit »

Hello!
I’m currently in the middle of a prospector 16 build. I’ve planked up to the centerline and am preparing to make the cut.
I was wondering if anyone has used a track saw to make this cut down the centerline. I’m not opposed to using a chisel, I was just wondering if this would be a more efficient solution.
Thanks in advance 😊
Patricks Dad

Re: Track saw centerline

Post by Patricks Dad »

It might work if you can get everything lined up properly. I assume you need to make two cuts (unless you have a really long track saw. Also, part of "getting everything lined up" includes ensuring that your blade is aligned parallel to the centerline in both dimensions throughout the cut (i.e., on the centerline and 90 degrees to the floor. I would think this might be a challenge.

I personally use a small (1") circular saw on a dremel tool to cut my centerline close and then use a sharp block plane to get to the line and ensure it is square. it's a pretty quick operation.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Re: Track saw centerline

Post by Cruiser »

Given the importance and chance of something going wrong with power tools ... I just take my time with doing it by hand.

Brian