Cottage Cruiser vs Prospector

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
bill100

Cottage Cruiser vs Prospector

Post by bill100 »

I'm looking for a boat suitable for light tripping (two people, 3-4 days) but also good for "toodleing around" solo.

I currently have a 15' Kevlar prospector design which works well when we go touring and I like it for soloing when it is calm but it really catches the wind if there is any breeze at all especially if it is not loaded down.

I realise that the cottage cruiser will not carry the load of the prospector but I am thinking it might perform better when soloing.

Comments?

Thanks in advance,

Bill Oliver
Owen Sound
Cruiser

Re: Cottage Cruiser vs Prospector

Post by Cruiser »

Hi Bill,

If you like the current Prospector, what is the reasoning for replacing (or are you planning second boat)?

Having asked that, there are boats that excel at being a 2 person tripping boat and there are boats that excel at being a 1 person tripping boat ... there aren't really any boats that excel at both, in a single hull. Unloaded, a solo boat will have some issues with wind and a unloaded tandem will have even more issues with wind ... it's physics and you can't really get away from that. (unloaded hull has less displacement in the water, allowing easier surface movement).
If you are building a new ride, my suggestion is to consider a dedicated solo and keep the tandem. You won't find a much better design than the Freedom 15'3" (16'3") as a solo.

If you are stuck on the idea of one boat to do it all, be prepared to be disappointed ... if it existed, it would likely be the only canoe design sold.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I'm with Brian.
Kinda like asking a station wagon, to enter a a stock car race !

You will enjoy a dedicated solo, so much more !

In my younger day I paddled a 17' Aluminum all the time. After building my first dedicated solo ? The aluminum stayed on the rack !
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
bill100

Post by bill100 »

Hmm,

Thanks for the replies.

Thing is, I need a boat we can tandem occasionally for tripping with the family. I will certainly retain the prospector for heavier tripping but I was looking at an alternative which would be easier to solo when I am on my own or when I am the odd man out on a trip.

A dedicated solo boat is a nice idea. I was actually thinking if this build goes well I might try a kayak.

Bill
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Hi Bill,

The issue you are facing is a common one, as Jim put it, it's like entering a station wagon in a stock car race or taking the stock car to Home Depot.

Maybe put the usage in perspective, tally up the number of each type of trips you've taken in the last few years and then consider whether a dedicated boat makes sense and rent a second type as required. If you take 10 trips without the family and 1 trip with, it doesn't make sense to build a boat for that 1 trip, build a boat for the 10 trips and rent a family boat until you can build a family boat. Be forwarned, building boats can be a little addictive.

I had the same decision to make a few years back, picked the solo and then did a tandem a year later, TBH I have only had the tandem out twice and the solo is the workhorse and the advantage is that I am never the odd man out. Planning is simple, I am paddling solo.

Good luck on your journey,

Brian
bill100

Post by bill100 »

Thanks for the food for thought.

FWIW, I have a station wagon with a 5 speed manual transmission. Good pickup in both senses of the word :-)

Bill
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Oh, I have very fond memories of my Old station wagons !
Thanks for sparking old memories.
Did I say Sparking ? Yes I did !
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!