13'9" Rice Lake Skiff

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
Joan

Dana's skiff pictures

Post by Joan »

Dana - your pictures look great - thanks so much for sharing them with us at Bear Mountain and all the folks who find this forum useful. Have you heard about the get together we are having here August 13/14 2005? Any chance you could bring your skiff? Joan and Ted
psimer

Get together

Post by psimer »

Thanks for the invitation Joan. I live in Georgia so, your boat shop is pretty far away. I would love to come but I will have to consult "She who must be obeyed" and see if there is a remote possibility. (Are rednecks allowed into Canada?)

I put the 2nd coat of varnish on the outside today and here is a picture. I will post some more after the varnish cures and I am ready to launch.

Image[/img]
Dana H P'Simer Sr.
Don't start a vast project with a halfvast idea.
Bud

WOW

Post by Bud »

GREAT looking boat P'simer. Where in Georgia are you located? Anywhere near Clayton? I am looking at building at Rice Lake skiff next and would love to see yours if you are not too far away.
Bud
psimer

Post by psimer »

Hi Bud,

I am in Gainesville. It's on Lake Sidney Lanier about 50 miles north of Atlanta. Where's Clayton? You are welcome almost anytime.
Dana H P'Simer Sr.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Thanks for posting the pic of the stem, I'm impressed!!!...On the Bob'slast year I faired the stem to the hull and didn't use a keel. After planing the transition lask weekend on the Rice Lake to the plan drawing, it all began to make more sense. I think you got it right!!
psimer

Launch of RLS and Pictures

Post by psimer »

I finally was able to launch the new boat. The unusually warm weather here in Georgia gave me a window of opportunity. Here are some pictures.

Dana H P'Simer Sr.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Wow, that looks great! Your photos make me want one too.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

That is fantastic!!!! Hope mine looks half as nice! Juneaudave
psimer

Post by psimer »

Thanks Dave and Glen for the nice comments.

I have been trolling around lake Lanier getting a feel for how it handles (caught a 5.3# LMB yesterday. :P ). It needs weight in the fwd seat to be stable enough to go full throttle with the 4hp Yamaha OB. My 42# thrust electric trolling motor is great for just mucking about. The position of the middle seat is too far from the transom for good control of the motor. I use an extension handle but still have to get up and go to the back to turn off the engine or reverse it. On the other hand, the position is just right for rowing.

I didn't install the floor boards as called for in the plans. I want to travel light and too many loose parts to keep track of drives me nuts. I also didn't put in the foot cleats. I felt they woud be in the way since I will be using a pusher most of the time.. I did use non-skid additive in the varnish across the section for the rowing foot position. This seems to work ok. I don't know how it will stand up to wear tho'. :roll:

One can't sit on the transom seat with an engine mounted. there's not enough room. I made the length longer than the plans called for but it is still not utilitarian.

I bought a padded seat with the back to use on the middle seat and it gives great back support. It fastens with strap under the seat and the adjustable straps hold the back in place. Highly reccommended!
Dana H P'Simer Sr.
Juneaudave

Finished Rice Lake

Post by Juneaudave »

Maiden voyage..10 miles to the cabin pulling the Bob's Special..Great fun!!
ctboat

Started Rice Lake Skiff

Post by ctboat »

My father has started my skiff, drove home to Maine thursday with my router table, to help make the planking. He had all the molds and the strongback done. We cut 5 2x6x16 planks of Western Red Ceder into1/4x1and 1/8 strips in about 4 hours not counting setup time ended up with 75 strips.Dad found a 7 and 1/4 blade with a 5/8 arbor for the table saw to limit the waste.I'll post pics as soon as it starts coming along