strongback is dead.....:(! pics, thoughts appreciated

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Pete in the Deep South

Post by Pete in the Deep South »

To Dan: Good advise about the supports. I would like to put wheels on my strongback support. I like the idea of moving outside during sanding phase. I am building a covered deck adjacent to my basement shop door just for that purpose....hope it works!
AkDan

Post by AkDan »

unfortunatly there is no going outside for me in almost any phase of this. I do have to open the garage door to rip strips which I need to get on the ball on. Wont be long and we'll be seeing -40 temps.

Dunno how the maintence man would feel about me drilling holes in the floor either. I am scratching that old form. So far I really like the looks of the box beam however I dont have a table saw big enough to cut something like that. Still working on getting that resolved at this time.

The I beam sounds great, however heavy as sin. I have zilch for help with this. I havent ruled it out quite yet but I think the box beam ala Rods system is the cats meow. Sure makes a ton of sense after talking to him.
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

Dan, Thought I would suggest another option for a strongback. Build a box with (2) 1X8X16' and (2) 2X4X16'. I've was able to find the 1X8 in common pine and the 2X4 were common building material. I screwed the 1X8 about every 12 inches into the edges of the 2X4, fliped it over and attached the other 1X8 in the same manner. I set mine on two sawhorses and attached it with 4inch screws. The key is to find straight lumber and someone to help you move it because it is a heavy SOB. I have one that is 7 years old and two that are two years old and none have twisted or warped on me.
Shuswap Pat

Bullit Proof Strongback

Post by Shuswap Pat »

I have a bullit proof stongback. It is a trussed frame made from angle iron and channel, on casters, with leveling feet. The height is adjustable, and the whole thing weighs about 250 lb. The top is made from 2 8' pieces of 10 " wide MDF Shelving. The whole thing is flat within 1 mm. Obviously built by someone with an obsesive engineering background. If I could figure out how to post a picture I would :!: .
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Pat, this link is to photo posting instructions that I posted recently, it works for me: http://www.bearmountainboats.com/phpbb2 ... =3241#3241
AkDan

Post by AkDan »

Pat,

Feel free to email them to me. I have a web page set up and could post them.

dawn-dan@gci.net