exterior hull finishing question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
peter34

exterior hull finishing question

Post by peter34 »

Hi all. I'm building my first ever canoe and hoping for some advice. I recently finished fiberglass/epoxy (West System) the hull. Ended up with a fair bit of runs so sanded down after 3rd coat. Then added a 4th and 5th coat. Then sanded again with 80 -> 120 -> 220. However, still getting some areas where there are low spots that are very glassy from un-sanded epoxy that kind of stand out. Question is, will those go away when I varnish? they disappear when the hull is wet (after wiping off the sanding dust) but reappear when it dries. Trying to decide if I want try to put a 6th layer of epoxy on. Don't really feel I can sand it down more as I'm getting some areas where I'm getting to the weave. Thoughts?

Secondary question. How fine do you sand to prior to varnish? I made a paddle without varnish and was able to buff the epoxy to a high gloss and I like that look - is that more a matter of the type of varnish I choose (gloss or matte)?
Jim Dodd

Re: exterior hull finishing question

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Peter

Those shiny areas don't fill good, unless they are sanded.

If you are not getting into the weave of the cloth ? Keep sanding.

Staple holes are notoriously hard to fill.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!