I finally got started.

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Erik, Belgium

I finally got started.

Post by Erik, Belgium »

I finally started work on the Wiisk canoe.
Compared to my first stripper, I changed a few things: a) I will be using inner and outer stems now, and b) I also routed the strips into bead & cove. I prepared poplar, SAP wood, walnut and purple heart strips, but don't know yet if I'm going to use them for accents on this boat.

My first impressions are that the work in advance takes much longer (for me at least), but (I hope I will) this time can be regained once started stripping. I am working on 2 more canoe paddles as well.

For those who want to see some pics, I updated my homepage http://users.pandora.be/kano-kayak/. Unfortunately not all pictures are sharp.

cheers,
Erik
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Erik
I remember that you beveled each strip to fit its mating strip by hand on your first canoe. I can't even imagine how much time that took and you have my respect for doing it. You can expect to spend at least 4-5 hrs maybe more on the router table to mill the bead and cove but I'm sure that you will save time in the end and find that the strips fit nicely.
Dave
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Nice site!! Your an inspiration. I also need to get started on a new project, but I just can't quite seem to get it going with summer being here and so much to do. The next project for me will be the Bear Mountain Rice Lake Skiff. BMB has added some Builder's notes and plan revisions so more of the details are there. I did look at some local Sitka Spruce and at some WRC last weekend. I haven't decided which to use yet. Part of me says, use the WRC. part of me says the Sitka Spruce may be more appropriate for the skiff. I used local Alaska Yellow Cedar on my Bob's last winter, and had difficulty working with it, so I'm a little leary about wood species at this point. Oh well, I guess I'll make that decision sooner or later. Have a good time building...Dave
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Hi Erik,
I am impressed that you beveled each strip on your 38 Special. I can't imagine how much longer that must have taken you. I'm sure that bead and cove will save you very much time and give you much more consistent joints.
Very nice website!
I just had to click on you link, "The Cedar Strip Bible" and I couldn't agree with you more. I'm sure that John will appriciate that also.
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA