Ke Kalakupua

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
KARKAUAI

Ke Kalakupua

Post by KARKAUAI »

Aloha, BMB and forum members,
Well, Ke Kalakupua is finally finished!!! I've built a starting website http://www.karkauai.com where you can view the progress and finished product. Click on the Outrigger Canoe tab, then at the bottom of the page is a link to the finished pics. I'll bubble wrap it next week for shipping in a container to Kauai. I'm arranging a traditional Hawaiian canoe blessing and luau for the canoe club I belong to in Hanalei, and will take the maiden voyage after I have the gods with me.

A note for all canoe designers, for what it's worth:
You will see that the decks on my canoe are significantly larger than the decks on American Indian canoes, say the Redbird for example. My wife immediately noticed how much bigger my deck was, and remarked "Why are their decks so small?" I of course told her that it wasn't the size of a guys deck, but rather the skill with which he built it and it's function that mattered. She insisted that size DOES matter, and challenged me to ask her friends what they thought. Every one of them agreed that they liked a BIG deck all other things being equal. They've dubbed my project "Kent's Big Deck". I'm just letting them all go on thinking what they will, and basking in their adoration. I won't show them any pics of your kayaks until I've built one.

Mahalo to you all for you inspiration and help in doing this project, and thanks to BMB for making this forum available. I'd have been lost without you. I'll keep following the forum and be building a Wherry when I get back in the Spring. Pics in Hawaii to follow.
A hui ho,
Kent
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Kent, that is simply amazing! The name is quite fitting as you must have had "the magic" touch as you were building it. No, I will not make any comments on the "big deck".

Keep us posted when you launch her.
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Kent,
When is the party and when are you going to be launching?
(I'm going to be in Kona in two weeks and I told Joan that I want to go see Paddleman)
Beautiful Job!!!
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Hi, Dean,
Haven't picked a date yet, cause we have to make sure the canoe's there first. Anticipating it's arrival around Jan 10th, and hope to have the "blessing" luau the next weekend. Wish you could be there to participate. It'll be in Hanalei on Kauai.
A hui ho,
Kent
Bud

Post by Bud »

AWESOME Kent :D It looks really good assembled. By the way, I'm with you about decks. It's not the size, but the function that matters. :wink: Wish I could be there for the blessing. Looking forward to pics in the water.
A hui ho,
Bud
Dean in Eureka, CA

KARKAUAI wrote: Wish you could be there to participate.
Well,
At least I'll be able to go see Paddleman, since you were the one that brought me up to speed on him. Thanks.
I think the way you are going about this, having a blessing and a luau is just awesome!
May The Gods Bless Your Big Deck! :wink:
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

Amazing results Kent !
You told me the varnish was spayed on, what varnish did you choose ?

Erik, Belgium.
Peter Kotowych

Post by Peter Kotowych »

Kent,

All I can say is WOW!
I assume there are no portages in Hawaii?

Penetang Pete
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Kent, your Ke Kalakupua is absolutely beautiful, a very fine piece. I just have one question. How many Ox does it take to pull it? Just kidding, Love your work
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Aloha, guys,
Erik, I used HMG's Coma Berenice varnish, took a little under 3 liters to put 3 coats on the hull, iako, lee board, and wae blocks. It seemed to go on pretty thick, so I hope 3 coats will do for a while.

Pete and MTP, I'll build a folding caddy to pull it up on the beach when I'm sailing or paddling alone. In HI I can drive onto the beach, so not far to get it on the car. The hull weighs ~80 lbs, so I'll be able to get it on the car one end at a time without any problems. With double ama setup for sailing the whole rig weighs ~125lbs. Takes about 15 min to set everything up for sailing, 5 min for paddling. If really rough conditions, will have to lace on the cover and tramps, which will take a good bit of time, I'm sure.

More in a month or so after I've actually had it in the water a few times.
A hui ho,
Kent
KenC

Post by KenC »

Congratulations, Kent. You've done a beautiful job.
Bernie in Illinois

Post by Bernie in Illinois »

Kent, congratulations on the completion of your project! Your work is very, very impressive, especially your big decks! This being your first boat building experience makes it even more spectacular. I wish you much happiness sailing/paddling.

I think that it is so nice that you are having a traditional blessing. One of my neighbors has been keeping a bottle of champagne on the side for the launch of my Redbird. I hope she plans only on drinking it... a redbird is not exactly the Qeen Mary! However, I feel that the first launch is a private experience. I'm not exactly sure why. When anyone sees the boat, they melt in admiration; and it feels very good. Still, the first launch cannot be shared except with immediate family. Call me nuts!

Looking at Ke Kalakupua, I suddenly realized that adding a removable outrigger to a Redbird would easily satisfy any stability concerns sometimes associated with that design.

By the way, nice website.

Dean, it's been a long time since we've heard from you. What's been happening with your Redbird?
Dean in Eureka, CA

Bernie in Illinois wrote:Dean, it's been a long time since we've heard from you. What's been happening with your Redbird?
Hey There Bernie,
Well... It's been resting a bit. :D
What's really going on with my Redbird is, Dean hasn't been working on it for a while.
Two reasons;
1. This last July, I got bit by the "teardrop" bug. Glen Smith showed me a guy's boat site that had also been inflicted with the bug and his website had a link to this site:http://www.mikenchell.com/forums Check it out, just be careful, 'cause you might get bit also. (A great thing to have for camping with my kids)
2. A couple of months ago, I was informed that this fire station I'm renting, living and working out of was going to be sold. The owner was giving me one chance to buy it before it was to be put on the market. Well, to make a long story short... I'll be closing the deal on this place next week and I'll tell yaa... It's been quite a roller coaster ride of stress and emotions. Funny thing about it... I made my final deposit today that put me over the top, giving me the money I needed to close the deal next week.

As far as my Redbird goes... I'm really looking forward to getting back on track with it. I'll tell yaa... I was scratchin' my head there for a while, wondering what I was going to do with it if I had been forced to vacate the premises. I thought about just going for it and getting it finished, just in case, but I just couldn't get in the "zone" when everything was just "hanging in the air" there for a while.

Sounds like your 'Bird is getting close to launching, eh?
Got any pics?
Great to hear from you!
Check out that site, but remember...be careful!
I'm a site administrator there, so there's a good chance you'll catch me online.
(Same username; Dean in Eureka, CA)

BTW- I'm working on some ideas with Glen to get this website up to snuff and get the project directory straightened out. (Maybe some other new features also)

PS- I've been snooping through your posts. I really liked Todd's suggestion about masking off and area and sugaring it. What did you end up doing on that?

One more thing... I'm still not satisfied with the curly redwood I've been able to come up with for my decks. :lol:
I've all but given up on finding the "Right" type of bird's eye burl.
I've even looked at a few burl tables, that may be my only shot to find what I originally had in mind.
(The search goes on)

Dean in Eureka, CA
Bernie in Illinois

Post by Bernie in Illinois »

So you're going to be the proud owner of an ex-fire station. Good for you! If this is your first property buy, I can certainly understand your stress level.

Relative to the "teardrop" bug, I've had it for some years. However, I have more active or would be projects then I can possibly finish. Being a jack of all trades is frustrating. Isn't it?

With the onset of cold weather, and the garage not being insulated, I moved the canoe to the basement. I thought I would glass the inside hull there, but decided against it after all. Now, I'm going to wait until spring. In the meantime I'll be addressing gunwales, decks, seats and paddles.

Again, good luck on your house purchase. Season's greetings to all!
SevenTenths

Post by SevenTenths »

So, I log in here (newbie) to congratulate KARKAUAI on a beautiful job. Well done say I !
The trouble is, I soon see the "teardrop" link. How will I ever get a boat built with such distractions? Can my marriage withstand the pressure? Do the kids really need more than one meal a day? These shoes will make it another year... hey hey HEY, put that thermostat back on 62

7/10