Names????

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Norman in MS

Names

Post by Norman in MS »

It is considerd bad luck to not name a boat. Although I don't believe in luck, I christened my Freedom 17 with her new name.

I took her out for her shakedown cruise and she literally named herself. She slipped through the water with so much grace and so little effort. She is now called Oshan Okapini, the Choctaw Indian words for "Otter Canoe."
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

More about names. Can anyone tell me the significance of or the origin of the names designated to each canoe plan, such as the redbird, prospector,champlain etc.?
keithw

Canoe Names

Post by keithw »

yes, I planked my Winisk with pine. With the light color I was going to name here Blondie, but after I was done with the spar varnish it was much darker and thought Maybe it should be called her Amber. I stuck with Blondie.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

I understand the personal reasons for naming a boat. What I was looking for was the background on the names of the styles. I am building a redbird and was wondering how it came to be a redbird. Was it something representative of the Ojibway or maybe just a name the designer came up with?
Doug

Post by Doug »

I've named my canoe & kayak after their model names;
Kipawa -Kip, Kipper
Endeavour -Ender

I also dremeled their names into the gunwales.

Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Manitoulin Charlie

Canoe name

Post by Manitoulin Charlie »

I named my Bob's Special, "Charlie's PRIDE".Thanks to Ted's Canoe Craft and Glen's answers to all my dumb questions my chest expanned 3 shirt sizes.
Building "Charlie's Pride" was one of my most satisfying endevours
Charlie
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi mtpocket, I searched high and low and the only one I could find is the Prospector which was "built to meet the specific needs of the prospector". Maybe an email to Ted will result in more information on this subject.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Thanks Glen, I will try that.

Post by Guest »

I haven't named all my boats, but I did name a few:

Look-Alike: A modified Wee Lassie from Rushton's plans. I built the canoe for my two neices. They think that they look like sisters, so they wanted to name their canoe the Look-alike. I glassed it into the hull.

Fool's Gold: A S&G based on my SOF kayak. A song by the Stone Roses, one of the music groups that I used to listen to. Also, the design has a ton of rocker, so you'd have to be a fool to build it, but it is gold in waves and for play. (Just don't try kayaking 560 miles in the thing during one trip.)

Pure Green: A West Greenland style kayak. It is purely greenland, plus Pure Green is a character in a novel that I'm writing

Bryan
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

I like Rob's name and the meaning of the name he chose the best.
I like MT's inquiry as to the model names, that's why I'm making a post on this thread.
I'm bumping it back to the top of the list so maybe Joan can get Ted to share with us the meanings and how he came up with the different names.
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
SevenTenths

Post by SevenTenths »

'm not sure about naming my upcomming canoe project, but if I ever build the low displacement canoe yawl of my dreams, it'll be named "Shoalier Than Thou"

7/10
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Something I thought of today is "keewatin" which is Cree for "north", "north wind", or "going home". After hearing it as the latter definition, a brief search turned up the other meanings which would also work, but I should probably find a friend who speaks Cree to sort it out for me.