Redbird extra planks

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Nachako

Redbird extra planks

Post by Nachako »

There was a lot of talk earlier about adding an extra plank or two to increase the depth of a Redbird . I was wondering how it turned out . Did most of you also increase the length of the stem by the same amount . Also with the tumblehome design of this craft how did the gunnels lineup and look. Thanks Paul
Jeff in Pembroke

Post by Jeff in Pembroke »

I raised the sheerline on my Redbird by 1" when I made the molds to accomodate an extra strip. I also decreased the height of the sheer at the stems by 1" as well. I was very happy with how the boat turned out - there are some pictures posted on the project directory if you wish to see it. I believe other builders have added an extra strip at the sheer without any mold modifications and have had no difficulty. As long as the sheer strip is parallel to the waterline or curves only slightly upwards to the stems, you shouldn't need to modify the sheer height at the stems.
Hope this helps.

Jeff