13' 0" Rob Roy

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
Joan and Ted
Site Admin

13' 0" Rob Roy

Post by Joan and Ted »

Use this forum to post information specific to your 13' 0" Rob Roy project. Use POST REPLY when posting information. Please stay on topic. For general boatbuilding discussions, please use the Builders Forum instead.
Last edited by Joan and Ted on Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joan and Ted
Site Admin

13" Rob Roy

Post by Joan and Ted »

The following has been unarchived from our previous project directory
Posted by: DortoH
Posted on: 10 Jun 2004 02:51 am

13" Rob Roy
26 lbs.
Winnipeg, MB

hammer ny

My rob roy

Post by hammer ny »

I recently figured out how to make an album thanks to glen. Well this is the link hope you guys like it http://photobucket.com/albums/v237/Hamstien2000/
Glen Smith

Looks Great!

Post by Glen Smith »

The Rob Roy looks very nice. You did a good job :applause
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Looks to me like you've got the knack for this!!! Do you have your next canoe planned? I think you did a really great job!...Juneaudave
hammer ny

Next plans

Post by hammer ny »

Thanks a bunch jeunodave yeah i would love to build another one. I was wondering if any of you guys in the forum have built any of the kayaks from teds book. I would love to try one of those.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I have built the Resolute and the Venture. They are both relatively easy to build. :smile
hammer ny

kayaks

Post by hammer ny »

Were they kits? I think thats what im going to buy soon. The kits are mostly stich and glue right?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

These are strip boats and I built them from scratch. If you prefer a Stitch and Glue kayak, I believe Ted Moores should soon be announcing the availability of a S & G kit for the Enterprise which is featured in his new book "Kayaks You Can Build". The Enterprise is a beauty :oh
churchman47

Re: 13' 0" Rob Roy

Post by churchman47 »

Finally finished my Rob Roy this September and took her for her trial run on a small Central Alberta slough near my home. After canoeing throughout Ontario most of my life of 65 years,and never intentionally tipped a canoe, my Rob Roy had me in the drink within minutes. The good news is that it floated, I floated, my gear floated, and I dog-paddled us to shore and started again. Things learned? Always wear your life jacket; Scuppers serve a purpose; Leaches don't hurt; Keep your butt on the bottom of your RR; This is not a canoe.
On to the next project.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Yes, the Rob Roy demands a low paddler position or you risk getting dunked as you found out.
doe4rae

Post by doe4rae »

Just finished up a Rob Roy with a friend of mine. It's a beautiful little boat. Couldn't wait to get it in the water today for the maiden voyage. I have several years of experience paddling canoes and kayaks. I built a Bear Mountain Cottage Cruiser canoe and a Resolute kayak which have both kept me safe and dry over the past 7 years. (I've never tipped either of them.) The first thing I did after setting the Rob Roy in the water and snapping a few pictures of it was to tip it over getting into it. She is jittery and tippy/slide-y until you get your butt situated on the bottom of it. My friend - a less experienced paddler than I - also tipped it. I have a strict policy about not getting into a boat while it is beached but I think I'll be making an exception for this one. Paddles nice and feels fairly stable once you are moving but that first step is doozy.

(Can't figure out how to post photos here)

https://www.facebook.com/fourwindsboats ... =3&theater
Dawne Olson

"The human soul needs actual beauty more than bread" ~DH Lawrence