Rob Roy seat

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
reinbilt

Rob Roy seat

Post by reinbilt »

How high up from the bottom of my Rob Roy can I mount a seat and still maintain stability? I plan to epoxy a riser on each side of the canoe and screw a standard style seat to the risers. A combination thwart/backrest will be attached to the inwalls. Thanks for any help.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I have seen photos of seats mounted on the hull bottom and others at varying heights all the up to the gunwales themselves. The perfect height woud be where you feel the most comfortable in the boat as per paddling position and sense of stability. It is mostly a personal matter.
hammer ny

Post by hammer ny »

I would only go up an inch above the bottom thats about it put the seat on 2 horrizontal boards about a half an inch thick from the bottom. You get way more stability when the seat is closer to the bottom. Make a peace of wood with a v notch in it and rest the canoe on it and move it back and forth till you find the center of gravity then move seat so the middle of the seat is about 2-4 inches behind the center it makes the canoe more manuverable and quick. Hope this helps i struggled with this too. Kyle
hoz

seat bracket

Post by hoz »

You could make a multi position seat bracket ala the Kruger Sea WInd canoe. Easily glued and glassed in place, your seat wouldbe adjustable from bilge to gunnels.

I recently made a set of brackets from 1/4" plywood (2 pieces laminated together) for my S&G sail canoe. My seat is bench style and it works great.
someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar