Spray Covers

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Doug

Spray Covers

Post by Doug »

Has anyone ever installed a canoe spraycover?
http://www.outdoorsolutions.ca/spraydecks.html

Not that I plan to do any whitewater with my strippers, but I was just thinking about a raincover.

Primaily interested in how to attach it with minimal alterations / attachments to the canoe.

Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Denis

spray skirt

Post by Denis »

I paddled with some guys many years ago who had a spray cover for their canoe. They had a drawstring and reenforced it with split plastic pipe which fit over the gunnels. . I think the pipe was cut in three inch lenghts.

Denis
hoz

Post by hoz »

I don't have a cover yet. But have been thinking about them for a few years. The Outdoor Solutions cover looks to be a good one. I like the webbing and buckle method of attachment they offer. I don't care for the snaps. If your load rides above the gunnels some snaps would have to be left open, or the cover will have to be made with an expandable belly.

I have also seen covers installed with 2" industrial velcro . Ugly, ugly, ugly.

If I were to install one I would use lacing through small holes in the hull for attachment points. Then the cover could be tied down to that.
someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Aloha, Doug,
After canoe sailing last winter in 20+kt winds and 10+ft seas, I realized I'd need a spray cover for my outrigger. I didn't want a channel/boltrope setup, and the drawstring wouldn't have been strong enough to hold it on in those conditions. I opted to make a 3/4" bullnose "rubrail" an inch below the outer gunwale with 1/4" lacing holes every six inches. It will run from just behind the splashguard on the foreward deck to 1 ft onto the aft deck, and will have neoprene collars with zippers at each seat kind of like those seen on kayaks. It's a lot to spend (I'm having the cover made), but when sailing in heavy seas at 15-20 kts, it has to be strong. The rubrail really came out nice, though, and no plastic, metal channel, pins, etc. showing in my all wood canoe. There are some pics on my webpage http://www.karkauai.com of the rubrail, but I don't have the cover yet (kind of got sidetracked by the shipping damage). By the way, I'll be back to NC in a couple of weeks to see the damage up close and personal for the first time :shocked . I'll update as soon as I figure out whether I'm going to try to repair or start over.
A hui ho,
Kent
Michel vd Hoven

Post by Michel vd Hoven »

Hello Doug,

We always use our spray deck when we paddle in hard wind, waves and rain.
When we bought our used canoe, it came with a home made spraydeck. Although hard to install, metal snap fittings screwed under the outer gunwale, we like some things about the spraycover:
1) reduced wind resistance / drag;
2) increases controlablity when paddling in wind;
3) reduces water comming into the canoe due to rain, snow and spray / waves;
4) gives us a safer feeling when paddling rough water / high waves;
5) looks good;
6) gets wind and rain off our legs and feets, feels warmer in cold conditions;

The things we don't like:
1) takes time to install and adds weight;
2) to get something from under the spraydeck requires partly removing of spray deck;
3) difficult to portage canoe or get canoe into the water by picking up by carrying handles or centre thwart/yoke;

We will re-design our current spray deck, and built it our self for our specific requirements. Don't know yet how we are going to design it, but the following website gives some good ideas...especialy the first one has some good looking spray decks.
http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/canoecovers.htm
http://www.northwater.com/html/spray_deck.html

We like the O'Hara Style Canoe Cover...

Michel, The Netherlands