Screws

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Doug

Screws

Post by Doug »

What are the recommendations out there for the best fastening scew.
For canoe construction.

looking for (probably) a #6, robertson.

brass is too week.
chrome platted rusts.
stainless steel?

Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Bud

Post by Bud »

Hi Doug. Try McFeely's http://www.mcfeelys.com/subcat.asp?subcat=20.1.5.8
Silicon bronze boatbuilding screws. They also have stainless and any other fastener you could ever want. Remember to lubricate them for easy driving.
Bud
Doug

Post by Doug »

Bud, thanks

What are you using to lubricate the screws, wax?

All the best,
Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Rick

Post by Rick »

If the screws are being driven into softwood, you might prefer the reduced shank with a more aggressive thread. I used #6 1" SS rather than the type pictured above because the white pine needed a raised thread that wouldn't strip the wood out too easily. They were driven into a white pine inwale to fasten the ash outwales. Most of them held, but several still stripped out the wood and had to be redone... I doubt full-shank threads would have held as well. Available at Rona but not Home Depot or marine supply shops - SS is strong and the thinner shank will not break easily.

For hardwood, the full-shanked types should be better, but two different-sized holes need to be drilled, which adds on work. They will seal out water better because of the tighter fit, but the best way around this is to coat the drilled hole with epoxy on a pipe cleaner or nail, and then insert the screw. The SS screws don't need to be lubricated or waxed to break the epoxy bond when removed since they're strong and the surfaces are smooth.
Bud

Post by Bud »

Doug, I agree with Rick about screws with a deeper threads being better for soft wood. These screws are better for hardwoods. I use beeswax to lubricate my screws, but Mc Feely's sells a lubricant called Ackempucky that is supposed to be good. The price is a little steep though compared to wax.
Bud
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Doug, I use just plain old white bar soap to lub screws. Seems to work fine and it is cheap enough.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I have a "toilet bowl" wax ring from the plumbing department. It is a soft wax, costs less than $2.00 and will probably last my lifetime. I also use it to plug the tip of caulking tubes. Just plunge the tube tip into the wax, wipe off the excess and recap. A tube of silicone opened three years ago is still usable!
Tom in MN

Fasteners

Post by Tom in MN »

There is nothing wrong with brass. Many people have problems with it because they do not take the time to drill the correct size pilot hole. With any screw, the pilot whole should be the diameter of the barrel of the screw. With brass, you have to put them in by hand and lubricate them with soap or wax. I have used brass on a number of canoes and have not had a problem. However, if you have the wrong size pilot and attempt to drive them with a cordless screwdriver, you will break them off and then it's a problem. Stainless also works well, but if the screws are going to be visible, then brass sure looks the best in my opinion.

If you are going to plug your screw holes with wood plugs, then I would use stainless or bronze, and not risk the brass.
Denis

brass screws

Post by Denis »

I usually use a steel screw first in the pilot hole then use the brass screw. I lube both with parrafin. When buying brass screws i also look for a steel screw that matches and buy a couple to put in the box of brass screws

Denis
KenC

Post by KenC »

Glen Smith wrote:...a "toilet bowl" wax ring .....use it to plug the tip of caulking tubes. Just plunge the tube tip into the wax, wipe off the excess and recap. A tube of silicone opened three years ago is still usable!
A little off topic, but BRILLIANT. It drives me nuts tossing out old tubes of caulking that are only 10% used. Have you noticed any "contamination" of the silicone, that degrades its ability to adhere?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

To Ken C: no degradation at all. When I need to use the silicone again, I squeeze out enough so that the wax plug is ejected, wipe the nozzle and It's ready to go. I do this with all caulk and sealant tubes.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Just a secondary thought and this would only pertain to the gunwales.
Why not just epoxy them on?
I don't imagine I will ever remove them.

Doug
John E

Post by John E »

I see no reason you can't, I did and they work just fine. I did how ever use epoxy thickened with fumed silca so it made a real nice paste

did the same for the inwales but used a short screw from the outside into the sculper blocks to act as clamps and for positioning. the Outwales I just used a lot of PVC Pipe C-clamps to hold it in place.

Doug wrote:Just a secondary thought and this would only pertain to the gunwales.
Why not just epoxy them on?
I don't imagine I will ever remove them.

Doug
[/img]
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

For what it's worth, I plan on using SS screws from the inwale to the outwale,along with some thickened epoxy, then plugging the holes with matching plugs. I have not made up my mind about scuppers yet.

16' Prospector
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
John E

Post by John E »

davidb54321 wrote:For what it's worth, I plan on using SS screws from the inwale to the outwale,along with some thickened epoxy, then plugging the holes with matching plugs. I have not made up my mind about scuppers yet.

16' Prospector
That seems like a lot of extra work and expense for no need. If you screw into the inwale (or scupper blocks if you use them) from the outter hull this will help pull the inwale tight while the epoxy cures the epoxy takes over the job of holding after that. Then you can cover the heads of the screws with the outwale and epoxy just clamp it into place along the whole length ( I used PVC "C" clamps you can make them real cheap) after the epoxy cures the screws are totally encapsulated with epoxy so no moisture to cause corrosion or rusting there. and no holes to plug