How long?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders

How long?

< 1 Month
9%
1-3 Months
13%
3-6 Months
19%
6-12 Months
22%
12-24 Months
22%
> 24 Months
16%

Total votes: 32

DortoH

How long?

Post by DortoH »

How long does it take for you to build a canoe?

Just curious, I just finished my first canoe, over 3.5 years working off and on in between moves and career changes. I am glad it is done and look forward to building another in the future.
Glen Smith

Building Time

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Rod,

It takes me about 250 hours to build either a canoe or a kayak. Some builders spread this much time over several years of building. I usually build one or two boats each winter because I have the time to do it.
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

I do more flapping than building.
Hopefully, I pick up on more tricks that way, so I don't have to do very much backtracking.
Not getting to do this full time, there is no way that I could get one done in less than a year, even if I kept my mouth shut.
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Time wasn't a real factor for me except that I wanted to have project going over the long Alaska winter. I bought my wood over the summer, built the forms and ripped the strips over the fall, and finished by March. That's kindof where I am heading this year. Try tho get the heavy sawdust operations done by September and begin fiberglassing over Xmas. I have no idea of the hours I put in, but I loved each one....Juneadave
Jim D

Post by Jim D »

Many a time I've been asked that!.. I never keep an exact log, mostly because it's FUN, not Work to me!.. A fisherman never counts the hours he puts in catching the big one!.. To him it's FUN, not Work!..
I start the end of April and finish the first of October, too cold after that to varnish!.. I tend to take longer these days, spend more time sorting strips, and my boys are'nt home to mow the lawn for me anymore, I have a big yard... I guess one a Summer, but I have managed two twice.
I have known people to take as long as 15yrs. They were just as happy as the guy that builds them in 30 hrs, maybe more!
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Jim,

When I built my first canoe (Hiawatha) I logged 500 hours on the project. When people would ask me how many hours of work it took to build it I would answer "zero hours of work, 500 hours of passion and pleasure".

The day that I consider it as being "work" is the day that I will "quit the job".
Mike

How long??

Post by Mike »

I've finished 3 canoes. They took from 125 - 200 hours, and between 3 and 10 months. I'm not building one this year as we are putting on an addition. Mywife thinks the idea is a walkin closet, large bedroom, new dining room, et.al. In reality my workshop goes from 11x20 to 13 and 30. I built a freedom 17 in my shop, except for the strips which I cut and finished in the driveway. I had to step outside to change my mind.
Nachako

How long

Post by Nachako »

I like Jim's reply. After how it is built the second question is always how long. Though I never kept track. My reply always is that where do you start. Do you start with the reseach on how to build it, or where to get the supplies or the model I built first , picking a plan or building the strong back. For myself it started the first time I ask that Question: to the guy that had the first stripper I saw stapped to the top of a van.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Two hundred hours to build a stripper seemed to be the going rate reading around on the net before I started building the Huron, but it'll probably turn out to be double that. I started out lofting the stations from CanoeCraft, and building the strongback - maybe being too careful and precise with some things, like making the strongback true enough so that it wouldn't be out by more than 1/32", 1/16 for sure. And cutting the stations out to hairline precision, which is probably more than needed.

Anyway, this is the most enjoyable carpentry project I've ever done, and although the added hours will cut into canoeing time this summer, well worth it, especially when the hard-earned knowledge is weighed against occasional fits of insanity when things go wrong, and the next boat's being planned.
KARKAUAI

How long?

Post by KARKAUAI »

I'm 3/4 done with my first canoe, and including outriggers & sail rig, I think I'll have about 230 hours in it. If you count the 60 or so hours I spent researching, it gets closer to 300. My next one won't take nearly that long, since I spent about an hour, standing around scratching my head and looking at it while trying to figure out how I was going to do the next phase, for every 2 hours I spent actually working on it. Kent
Bob/PA

How long?

Post by Bob/PA »

My first canoe, by Hazen methods (no stems, a football of parallel strips), took about 175 hours spread over six months, mostly nights and weekends. The next, following Canoecraft methods (inner and outer stems, fitted strips all the way) took about 300 hours over three months. For some things, it helps to be retired!
Peter Kotowych

how long

Post by Peter Kotowych »

I have been working on my first canoe, Bob's Special, for 18 months ( sounds like a gestagion period), and am just ready to glue the outside stems. I did not think it would take so long, but other things, work, family, golf, etc. play a factor. It is a labour of love, so what is the rush. I am glad others are taking a leisurely pace at it also. It will be a beautiful creation when it is done. This site makes the adventure more pleasurable, sharing and receiving info from other builders.
Penetang Pete
philz

Re: How long?

Post by philz »

Being a teacher I take summers off and build then. I usually start with cedar boards on the 4th of July and it's in the water on August 15.
philz
alick burt

time spent to make a canoe

Post by alick burt »

For me the whole point of making my canoe is to make something where I'm not under pressure to complete it in a hurry.I've not been logging my hours or counting minutes on my canoe.It would make it feel too much like work!
Also I had a big break in production as I completed my stripping late autumn and was reluctant to attempt my glassing during the winter.
It's now at the stage where the bottom is glassed and I am working on it at the weekend only as I work away from home.
I think I've been at it for well over two years but i don't think Ive spent 150 hrs on it yet it's great fun too!
regards
Alick. :smile
sedges

fastest 21 days

Post by sedges »

Back when I was building boats for profit I got custom order to be delivered in time for a Lake Superior to Hudson Bay start. I had 21 days to build an 18' 10" BIG canoe. Imagine the sanding on a hull that big. I stripped it in 3 days, faired sanded and glassed the outside on the 4th and fith days(over night 26 hour binge). Then things slowed to wait for epoxy to cure. I was finishing another canoe for delivery at the same time, so I didn't get to sleep much. It was a hectic 3 weeks, but the varnish was cured enough to put them on the car for the long drive from GA to Ladysmith, WI and then on th Beaver Island, MI for the deliveries. I remember setting the alarm to get up in the middle of the night because it was time for the next coat of varnish. Couldn't wait until the morning to stay on schedule. I'm too old to do that now, But it was a good challenge at the time.