traction / anti slip additive for inside of hull

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Erik

traction / anti slip additive for inside of hull

Post by Erik »

I could not find the original thread, but i though that i would share with everyone that i found a Behr product at home depot this morning that is a no slip additive for wood coatings.

It is on a couple tester peices now, it looks as though it will dry completely clear in the varnish.

The cost was under 4$ cnd, and the package is sized to be added completly to a gallon can so ill have to play with how much i want in it.

I wanted to find something like this but wasnt willing to put the effort into finding it... and there it was.
Erik
Doug Carey

adding non-skid to Spar Varnish?!?!?!?

Post by Doug Carey »

Is it possible to add this material to Spar Varnish as the last coat inside the canoe bottom (I'm thinking if an area is masked off and then the non-skid applied so as to give a nice uniform area finish...........)
PADDLES AWAY!
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I applied a similar product to the cockpit area of a kayak. I sprinkled the product onto the second coat of varnish while it was still wet. Once dry, I applied a third coat of varnish to soften the surface because it was a bit too rough for my liking.
Erik

Post by Erik »

the instructions for this product were to put the product straight into the varnish and stir it well. i am sure you could sprinkle it on afterwards, but like glen said, it would all be right on top and may be too gritty.
Doug Carey

ANTI-SKID FINISH..........

Post by Doug Carey »

Thanks again for your hands-on experience.
I realize from the book that the idea is to leave some roughness in the epoxy resin on the interior of the hull, but, we decided to wet sand the inside after we applied the second coat (as we did on the outside after the third coat)
This technique really finished it off nicely, but it is way too smooth from a traction stand point.
So I now feel confident about adding some of this material in two areas.
Is this the stuff available from Home Depot?
thanks, Glen
d.c.
PADDLES AWAY!
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The product I have is called "Dynamic No-Slip Compound" made by Paint Sundry Products in Mississauga. I bought it in a large surface home renovation store in the paint section. Home Depot may have it also.
Bill from Louisiana

Slippery bottoms

Post by Bill from Louisiana »

Hi guys'

Not to throw a wet blanket on ya'll attempts to make for an non-skid bottom on your beautiful canoe bottoms, but would not a simple solution be to just put a mat into your canoe when in use. Seems a viable solution to me. One does not normally traverse from one end of a canoe to the other. I found by adding the mat when I leave for a run, I am non-skid and my beautiful finished football is a pleasure to behold.

Just a thought

Happy paddling :big grin
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Bill has a point...I have an old,old dog that can't get around much any more. I put a rubber backed area carpet in the bottom of the canoe for him and he doesn't slip at all... and has a place to lay down. Doesn't have to be much and you can easily take them out and dry them when not in use.
Erik

Post by Erik »

A mat is fine if you dont mind portaging the thing, personally id rather take more beer than a mat.

Next time i would do as glen suggested, sprinkle it in. i spent the whole week end soloing my boat, and it was rough on my knees. so by sprinkling it in, you could skip over the area that you would be kneeling in for solo paddling.

Any tricks to fix this area up? could i give it a really light hand sanding then varnish over just that area?
Doug Carey

anti skid material installation

Post by Doug Carey »

I am planning on taking Glen's suggestion and applying some compound in the second spar varnish coat (probably by masking off an area at both the front and rear seat areas) and then applying a full third coat over the entire interior of the hull.
I like the idea that this will offer some grip but not something akin to sand-paper!
regards,
Doug C.
PADDLES AWAY!
philz

Re: traction / anti slip additive for inside of hull

Post by philz »

A couple of years ago someone suggested sprinkling sugar on the last coat of wet varnish, letting it harden then rinsing off the sugar. It was supposed to leave a rough finish. Has anybody done this and have some results?
philz
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I tried the sugar thing on a test panel but did not like the results (most likely because I didn't let the varnish dry sufficiently and when I tried to wash it off, I had a gooey mess). Nonetheless...I've also heard about people doing it for steps and other slippery locations on larger boats. I would recommend doing a test panel before doing it to the bottom of a canoe.
Rod

flat finish for inside

Post by Rod »

I think there's a strip camoe company that has the idea of just using one coat of epoxy on the inside (saves weight and leaves it textured) then use a finish, not varinsh but some kind of flat Polyurathane.- Rod