canoe rub rail

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
info@hitchesonline

canoe rub rail

Post by info@hitchesonline »

Got a canoe for free...16' fiberglass"mad river". Old wood rub rail is shot. How does one acquire and install that. I would appreciate some help. It is my sons project for scouts.
I THOUGHT ABOUT RIPPIN SOME CYPRESS AT LOCAL LUMBER YARD??
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR ADVISE.
JIM
Jack

Post by Jack »

That rubrail is called a gunwale (pronounced gunnel). First, you must determine how the original was fastened onto the glass hull. Remove the old wood and make up new pieces to replace it. Most hardwoods will work. Ash is commonly used on our strippers although I've heard of almost everything else used too. If you can't fine boards long enough to do the job you can make long boards out of shorter boards by scarfing and gluing. Fasten the new gunwale in the same manner as the original and you should be all set. Good luck
Todd Bradshaw

Post by Todd Bradshaw »

The original ash gunwales on Mad Rivers are installed with #8 flathead, phillips drive, stainless steel sheet metal screws, 1.5" long if I remember correctly. The factory applies a couple of coats of Watco Oil to the wood as a finish before the boats leave the factory. In order to keep water out of the wood, the boat owner is required to frequently give the gunwales a light sanding and a fresh coat of oil. Eventually, you'll build up a gunstock-like, smooth, waterproof oil finish that's very nice looking and easy to touch-up if it gets dinged. The downside to all this is that you really do need to build up a finish over time through regular oiling. If you don't you'll end up with black and rotting gunwales. Cypress should work and could be oiled, or varnished if you want a more "instant" finish.

You can also buy replacement ash gunwales from Mad River through their dealers. They usually throw them on the truck with a load of canoes and charge little or no shipping if your dealer is scheduled to get a shipment of boats. The ash pieces from Mad River aren't cheap, but they are really high quality wood, very carefully selected speciifically for canoe gunwales.