Rice Lake Skiff Progress

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Juneaudave

Rice Lake Skiff Progress

Post by Juneaudave »

Update..Last weekend, I cut the molds for the Rice Lake and built the transom blank and cut the stem strips. Couple of thoughts...this is a lot larger boat. The outside stems are 1.5 wide x 1 inch thick and the inside stems are 1.75 x 1 inch. I went ahead and glued up the transom blank out of 1.5 x 2.5 in solid mahogany. Looks nice but so much for weight! For perspective, here's a pic of center station 0 from my Bob's Special compared to the corresponding center station 7 from the Rice Lake.

Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Dave,
I enjoyed seeing those pictures of your canoe when you first finished it. I'm sure this boat is going to look great also. How big of a motor are you going to hang in it?
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Guest »

I have a 3 hp Yamaha thats in real good shape that I will probably use. Small motors are a dime a dozen around Juneau. If I can pick up a newer 4 or 5 hp for a couple hundred bucks, I'll probably dig deep and go for it. The plans say the Rice Lake will take a 5 hp...Dave
Glen Smith

Rice Lake Skiff Photos

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Dave,

I am very interested in your project and I am looking forward to seeing many progress photos.