Redbird Maiden Voyage

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
mtpocket

Redbird Maiden Voyage

Post by mtpocket »

There are more photos at this link if you are interested.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v507/mtpo ... interval=3
Last edited by mtpocket on Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Peter Kotowych

maiden voyage

Post by Peter Kotowych »

Nice Redbird.
You would think it was made for the water!!

Pete
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

That is one sweet looking Redbird, Mike. A job well done. I hope you enjoy it to the fullest.
:applause
RonMc1954

Post by RonMc1954 »

I still say "It's a work of art" just use it like a boat. I already have some scratches in my Yak. You've done a fine job!!
:applause
Ron McElroy
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Mike,
What a beautiful job! How does she track? I think the accent inlays you did are awesome. :applause

It looks like you are really getting some deflection on that paddle!

Greg
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Thanks guys for the kind words. I had an absolutely wonderful time paddling in this boat. It tracks perfectly even with me sitting in the bow seat. This was on a small lake in front of my mothers house so I wasn't able to see how it will handle in open water. Turning is difficult but I will get better with time. My mother paddled it also and she loved it. I never thought she would go out in a boat made by me. She said she couldn't wait for my return so she could take a spin.

The paddles have some flex but feel very good. These are the first paddles I have ever built, so I wasn't sure how they would perform. So far, I am happy with them. In the photos where the flex is obvious, I was taking off pretty hard. Once up to speed, they flexed very little. The important thing is that they did not break.

While driving to my mothers lake, nobody even noticed me hauling a boat. No traffic jams or accidents. No lookers, no twisted necks, no whistles or thumbs up. Just another truck hauling a wood boat. The closest I came to getting noticed was when a lady pulled out in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes. She noticed me because I blew my horn. All I could think of was the boat sliding off the rack and landing on her hood.
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Hey, Pocketman, B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L canoe!!! You can be VERY proud of that georgeous girl. Tie 'er down good on top of your truck, wouldn't want something like that to happen to such a fine piece of work.
A hui ho,
Kent
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Wazzup MT??? A $10,000 canoe on a $50 rack? :laughing That canoe has to be one of the nicest on the site! Don't let it slip off that rack!
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

$50.00 rack? You're giving me too much credit. It may have cost me a few bucks, but certainly not $50.00. The rack really wasn't the issue though, the straps were. No matter how well I tie it down, I worry about it coming off.

The other figure might be inflated as well. :thinking
Pete in the Deep South

Racks for truck

Post by Pete in the Deep South »

I paid $50.00 for the homebrew rear rack(see photo). The rack on the cab of the truck is a yakima rack which cost considerably more than $50 bucks. A local welding shop made the rear rack. They also made the bicycle rack that bolts to the rear bumper....another $50 bucks.

I think that the commercial racks should be considered if they can be transfered to different
vehicles. The yakima racks can be used on different vehicles by purchasing an inexpensive
roof clip.

My arrangement would not be appropriate where the bed of the truck twists in relation to the cab when driving off road. On my Ford Ranger, the body and cab seem to all move together.

KG4YOL
Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

Now that is a REMARKABLE redbird !
A very sweet appearance.
Congratulations.

Erik, Belgium.
Pete in the Deep South

Post by Pete in the Deep South »

We got off the main subject talking about truck racks.......but, I agree that you certainly did justice to one of BearMountainBoats prettiest designs. It's a great looking canoe, congratulations!
KG4YOL