Filling cracks

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Penetang Pete

Filling cracks

Post by Penetang Pete »

Howdy,

I will shortly be filling the cracks with epoxy and filler.
Is there a need to wait a week before sanding as is recommended when glassing.
I guess this allows the expoxy to 'cure' completely, or whatever epoxy does.
Thanks
Penetang Pete

Filling cracks

Post by Guest »

If you leave the epoxy for a day it should be ready to sand . Also a if you mask off the areas that you want to fill and leave as little of the surface plank exposed .You will find that you will save your self a lot of trying to sand out the stains that the epoxy will leave. In those planks. But do remember to remove the tape after about 2 and half hours . Or as the epoxy gels. Also be care not to over colour your mix and if possible in flat areas to keep it thin . ( The air will rise to the top and make sure you pop the bubbles . ) I hope this helps and I learned all this by error a couple of weeks back )
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The time 'till sanding can vary with different epoxies. I use two epoxies made by the same company. One is fast setting and can be sanded after 24 hours. The other is slow setting and can be sanded after 48 hours. If you try to sand too soon the epoxy will gum up and turn white and remain that way. Excess epoxy can be removed using a cabinet scraper much sooner than it can be sanded. You can check with the epoxy manufacturer or do a test piece first but I'll bet you're in a hurry, right?
KARKAUAI

sanding epoxy/ taping off

Post by KARKAUAI »

Hi, Pete,
I taped around the rubrails when I glued them on, and left it for a couple of days. I used clear packing tape, and when I pulled it off, the glue came off the tape and stuck to the hull...a real pain trying to get it off. I was a little afraid to use solvents, not knowing how the cured epoxy would react. When I glued the gunwales on, I just wiped the epoxy off until there was just a thin film left, and it sanded very easily.
Kent
Penetang Pete

Re: Filling cracks

Post by Penetang Pete »

Anonymous wrote:If you leave the epoxy for a day it should be ready to sand . Also a if you mask off the areas that you want to fill and leave as little of the surface plank exposed .You will find that you will save your self a lot of trying to sand out the stains that the epoxy will leave. In those planks. But do remember to remove the tape after about 2 and half hours . Or as the epoxy gels. Also be care not to over colour your mix and if possible in flat areas to keep it thin . ( The air will rise to the top and make sure you pop the bubbles . ) I hope this helps and I learned all this by error a couple of weeks back )
Thanks for the tip on taping the surface plank. I'm sure it will save on sanding.
Pete