progress so far

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
AkDan

progress so far

Post by AkDan »

I've been working on the boat lately thought I'd get some pics up of the progress.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lilhunter007

The finished boat is from the site I picked up the plans to show you what it's SUPPOSED to look like ;).
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Looking Good!

I always enjoy looking at what others use for clamping and holding strips in place. Nice looking canoe!
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

AkDan,

Looks very good. Keep up the good work and you can have this baby in the water before summer is out.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Great job so far. Keep it up, you'll be closed up in no time. How are the bungie cords working?

Greg
AkDan

Post by AkDan »

Greg,

The bungies work great. They do have a tendancy to pull down so you have to be careful on the fill in sections as you are doing the bottom of the hull. It is nice though as it keeps things tight, not to mention acts like a second pair of hands when needed, something the U clamping jigs dont do so well. Mine have a tendancy to pull out when I am twisting the strips while filing in the cove on the end for the fill in. I am doing a weave pattern instead of doing one side then the other. I am also using bead side up instead of cove side up and so far it's working great. I can put quite a bit of tension on the bungies to help pull the strips down onto the other strip in areas where it didnt want to hold. I did have to get a couple extra and I only have enough to run one strip at a time per side. I also am using hot glue where needed to hold the strips to the forms. One recomendation when using it, dont have your paper pattern on the actual forms as the hot glue will pop off. If you do have it on for cutting purposes take a knife and scrape away the paper. Other then that it holds pretty well. This allows me to keep on stripping.

I am to the point of closing in the hull, 3 or 4 more strips I should be able to get on tonight. Went fishing last nite and am leaving again for the weekend. Did well last nite for Chums salmon on the fly rod, landed 24 or 25 fish, stopped counting after awhile. Doing a float for salmon and trout with a old service buddy of mine whose stationed back up here. I'll try and post pics of the trip on the same web page if I take the digital and the fish cooperate.