Canadian Canoe Museum

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Glen Smith

Canadian Canoe Museum

Post by Glen Smith »

Here is a link to a few of the photos I took in the Canadian Canoe Museum while in Peterborough, Ontario for the Bear Mountain Small Craft Builders' Rendezvous. Most of my photos were too blurry to present because of the very low light level in the Museum and because I have a cheap digital camera and I wasn't allowed to use the flash. :crying

Link: http://photobucket.com/albums/v427/glen ... %20Museum/

Last edited by Glen Smith on Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Here are several more pictures. Grab a drink and some popcorn and sit back and enjoy the museum.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v507/mtpo ... =1&multi=2
KenC

Post by KenC »

I don't know how you guys did it. When I was there three weeks ago, very few of my photos turned out, without using a flash.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Ken C, for us they turned the lights on. :laughing

Okay, just kidding.

I had a few that didn't look good either. For them to have enough exposure, I had to keep the shutter open longer. The problem then is how to hold still long enough. I got a few that were blurry. Most of my pics were taken with the shutter open for a full second.
KenC

Post by KenC »

I guess you're better at standing perfectly still than I am. Maybe I should have skipped the coffee that morning.
Nachako

Post by Nachako »

From those of us on the other side of the country .Thanks for sharing I enjoyed the pics very much. Paul
Danny Turner

Canoe museum

Post by Danny Turner »

I enjoyed so much the photos you shared with us.
I was at the museum 3 years ago, at a time when I did`nt even dream I would someday build my own canoe. Being there and seeing these photos is inspirational. My photos did`nt turn out too well either.

Danny
Ireland is a land of calm lakes and slow rivers but with no strip canoes upon them.I intend to change this and make it my resolution to do so.
KenC

Post by KenC »

Without being allowed to use a flash, its tough to get good pics in there. I recently thought of something that might help, though.

I have a new dog who is constantly moving around, so a lot of my pics were blurry. I started using the "action" setting on my camera - the digital equivalent, I guess, of a faster shutter speed, and the pics are much sharper, with no visible (to me) distortion of light or colour.

Seems counter-intuitive that a faster shutter speed might work in a darker setting, but if it compensates the other settings for the faster speed, and eliminates the need to stand perfectly still for several seconds, it might work in museum-like settings. Any comments from people who actually know what they're talking about? (since I don't).
HighPlainsDrifter

Re: Canadian Canoe Museum

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

I had the pleasure of touring the museum last friday (July 22, 2011). I used my Kodak Z1012IS w/o flash. The camera did the thinking for me and every shot was A+.

I found the museum a spiritual place..... time slipped by as I stepped back in time. A wonderful place. My visit to Peterborough also included a brief stop at Bear Mountain..... I finally met Ted and Joan.

Unfortunately, we visited Peterborough on one of the hottest days in recorded history :) We get that stuff in SD, but I did not expect the heat and humidity that we found.
ElisMoss

Re: Canadian Canoe Museum

Post by ElisMoss »

Fantastic
Best Paddle Board Tips