Outer Gunwales...Help!!!

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Honukele

Quick-Set Epoxy

Post by Honukele »

Kent-

I have been successful with System-3 "Quick Cure 5 Minute Epoxy" for difficult to clamp pieces. You can put "dots" of it on the surfaces to be mated, then put normal epoxy all around, or just use it for the whole joint. Because it cures quickly, you can just hold the piece in place until it sets. This worked very well for some of the hard to clamp strips, for example. (E.g. in the turn of the bilge, etc.) You can get the System 3 epoxies at Fiberglass Hawaii, if you are on Oahu. These guys sell it, too:
http://www.lockwood-aviation.com/system ... oducts.htm

I'd really like to see some pictures of how your project is coming along. I have completed my 22' outrigger canoe's hull, and am scraping and sanding away right now.

- Randall in Honolulu
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Aloha, Randall,
Actually I'm building this canoe in NC...will ship it to Kauai when I get it done. Don't think I'll be back on island again till Jan-Mar; if we get to Oahu this winter I'll give you a call. Guess I'm going to have to spend the time to establish a website so I can post some pics. I've still got your email address, will send a few more pics this wkend.
A hui ho,
Kent
honukele

Looking forward

Post by honukele »

Kent - for some reason I thought you had brought the canoe to Kauai. I was very jealous as I imagined you skimming out of Hanalei Bay and down the Na Pali coast. . . . So are you going to make the Amas out of foam and fiberglass, like, for example, Gary Dierking does? I am considering using some Hau wood for my Iako, instaed of laminating up wood. I'll probably clean the bark off, shape it a bit, and put some epoxy and varnish on it. "Semi-traditional" and more importantly, low cost! Now that I am working on my boat again, I'll probably throw up a site, as well.

Aloha,
Randall
KENT

Post by KENT »

Aloha, again, Randall,
I'm going to make the amas out of foam a la Gary D's plans, but I'm making a more curved, traditional-looking ama than his. I'm going to try something a little different to connect the ama to the iako that I think will be a little stronger than his plans. Will send you some pics when I get to that. I've been experimenting a little with a homemade hotwire cutter that seems to work well, think I'll try using it to do most of the foam cutting to minimize the foam shavings. See earlier thread for a link on how to do it.
I'd like to hear how the hau works for iako. (That had a nice ring to it didn't it?)
A hui ho,
Kent